Intellicenter need WiFi to function? Panic

newpoolbuild

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
NY
Does intellicenter requires WiFi to be able to operate? I thought it comes w a remote control like TV. My husband said he didn’t see it in the pkg. he almost gave me an heart attack telling me that intellicenter only works w WiFi according to Youtube. We don’t have WiFi out at the equipment pad. The intellicenter i8 with IC60, master temp just got installed. The plumber and Electrician installed and said they don’t know how to program it. The gas guy hasn’t came yet. My PB is coming in Wed.5E9AC75B-DF4A-4B0E-BAE3-18270CA1EC09.jpeg

We recently installed a Ubiquiti outdoor access point on one of our deck supports. Cost about $100 plus the cable and gives coverage to a surprisingly large portion of the yard. Something like that might be an option for you.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
You can add a remote to the system, but from what I've seen, and talking with others, there is not one included as part of any package. You can use your phone/tablet as the remote, of if you really want a dedicated remote, you could pick one of these up....

I would rather spend the $ to upgrade your wifi, than a stand alone remote. That way you can still get software updates on the intellicenter and control the pool when you are not at home.

For $100 we got a wifi extender that covers the backyard fully, including the equipment pad.

I would rather spend the $ to upgrade your wifi, than a stand alone remote. That way you can still get software updates on the intellicenter and control the pool when you are not at home.

For $100 we got a wifi extender that covers the backyard fully, including the equipment pad.

I agree. The "remote" from Pentair is like $600. For that money, I can do a lot of wireless upgrades to cover the pad, and my pool area. You already have the phone or tablet, so that would be the "remote". Extending the wifi to an area where it covers the pad and pool area would be a good thing anyway, even if you didn't need to have a remote for the Intellicenter.

Personally, I have a Ubiquiti setup at home, so I'm adding another access point out by the pool area anyway. But any Wifi setup can be updated with extenders, mesh, repeaters, etc. for a lot less than the cost of a Pentair remote. Plus, more than one user can use the app on their devices, and usually, you know where your phone is. No "looking" for the remote, or passing it around to make any changes.

PB is coming tomorrow to set up the equipment. Can the intellicenter control function / set up by hand for now wo WiFi? I would like to have the filter, pump, and heater running tomorrow while the PB is here.
I won’t be able to get the nest mesh or ubiquity until this weekend.

thank you!!! As long as the PB can program it wo WiFi to make everything up and running. IS this pic 1 below where I program the pump, SWG, and heater? Or Pic 2?

Yes, you will have a touch screen on the intellicenter itself that will control everything. You just will not be able to do it from your phone/tablet.

Attachments

• ABF5269E-E9B0-4271-B67F-F6D4C89E542B.jpeg
    ABF5269E-E9B0-4271-B67F-F6D4C89E542B.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 75
  • C950837E-0920-4B1E-8155-E6C9065EAABF.jpeg
    C950837E-0920-4B1E-8155-E6C9065EAABF.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 77
No. That is a picture of the pump control screen. When the pump is attached to your Intellicenter, the screen will read Display Not Active. You will control everything from the Intellicenter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the screen part that has the plastic cover on it in 2nd pic? Thx I am afraid to touch anything until the PB connects the gas on and I will let him program it.

No. That is a picture of the pump control screen. When the pump is attached to your Intellicenter, the screen will read Display Not Active. You will control everything from the Intellicenter.

Pic 1 is the pump. Once the Intellicenter (pic 2) is turned on, the pump screen says something generic like "Display not active" and you do everything from the Intellicenter touch screen at the top of pic 2.

As stated, you can use the display itself to program, but I wouldn't recommend that long term.

My setup included an outdoor wireless bridge (Engenius brand). It is powered via PoE from inside the the Intellicenter and is setup through the onscreen portal. The Engenius unit is high power and has large omni-directional antennas and is weatherproof. Mine is wall mounted on my bricks. While my iPhone 11 can't get Wi-Fi signal from the side pad, the Engenius has no issues. Also, the bandwidth/data requirement is trivial for this, you're not streaming video so you may be able to connect without a repeater.

Once linked up, I can use the iOS app or event control the pool from Intellicenter.com. One of the nicest features is the ability to control it from an Apple Watch (dedicated watch app). So now I can turn stuff on while floating in the pool without my phone.

I will say, it's not a very refined app or experience, lots of connection issues, time outs, etc. but it is a heck-of-a-lot better than using a remote control or using the built-in display.

Here's an image of the WebUI which is good for when you need to do a whole lot of programming:
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 1.19.38 PM.png

Reactions: guinness
I believe this is the consumer edition of the Wi-Fi product:

If you get this WIFI modem the 2.4 G will go about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.. It covers my 1.5 acre lot with no issues :) I have it installed in a closet on the north side of my house and I receive 2.4 through 6 walls and the garage to my driveway and still have signal... Using the 5G we easily download almost 200 mbps and I can transfer files at over 500 mbps to my server through 3 walls...

The pad is about 100’ from my house. But the current TP link WiFi repeater is not very good. I only get WiFi 10-20’ away from the repeater in the yard. I was thinking of getting the nest mesh that’s on sale at Costco’s. But will look at the WiFi extenders mentioned in the above 3 replies. I am not tech savvy so....

How far is the pad from your router..

Thank you for the detailed reply. Do you know if it will control the robot if it’s plugged into one of the outlet that’s extended out from the Intellicenter? Wow, you have so many things controlled by the intellicenter. I only have lights, swcg, and heater. It’s probably an overkill, lol

The pad is about 100’ from my house. But the current TP link WiFi repeater is not very good. I only get WiFi 10-20’ away from the repeater in the yard. I was thinking of getting the nest mesh that’s on sale at Costco’s. But will look at the WiFi extenders mentioned in the above 3 replies. I am not tech savvy so....
That would work If you have a place to mount the mesh outside but covered. I don’t know how far apart the “mesh” can be to be effective. Good thing is Costco has a good return policy 🙂

100’ is a stretch For an extender.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.