Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi,

Looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience, if there is a recommendation to fix or a troubleshooting approach to identify the cause.

When I call for heat, the heater recognizes the request and it takes about 45 seconds to a minute before the heater engages burner. In some instances - intermittent- the burner is not engaged and the IntelliCenter looses RS485 connectivity to the IntelliPro pump. The pump continues to have power, but water is not flowing anymore. When I look at the pump display, it shows “0 RPM and schedule active”. Normally it would say “Display not active” when connected to the IntelliCenter. I also have a feature pump on its own IntelliCenter circuit and plumbing. It too will stop flowing water, remain powered on, and show 0 RPM and schedule active. normally it would show display not active as it is also controlled via the IntelliCenter.

Note, my MasterTemp heater is connected to the IntelliCenter via RS485 (6 keypad MasterTemp). I’ve had this issue for a few months. This has not always been the case. When I power cycle the IntelliCenter the problem goes away…. Until the next time.

I called Pentair. They opened a work order. A technician called to scheduled a visit. Said that there is not much IntelliCenter knowledge out there, but will come and evaluate. Not expecting much from them.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Tony

Tony,

I suspect that you have a IntelliFlo pump issue with the wrong F/W. Put the system into the Service mode and then use the menu to find the F/W in the pump. It should be Rev 3.05. If it is 3.04 or less, then the pump needs to be reflashed.

We have seen several new VSF pumps with this RS-485 issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the guidance. Both pumps are the IntelliPro VSF model 13004 and have firmware version 2.11-VSF. Where do I find the latest firmware version and update process?

Best regards

Tony

Tony,

Pentair comes out and reflashes the pump.

That said, the problems that we have been hearing about are with the IntelliFlo VSF pumps. I am not at all sure the problem exists with the IntelliPro VSF pumps.

It makes sense to me to let the Pentair tech come out and make sure he is aware of the 'possible' wrong rev F/W issue.

Please let us know what he finds...

Thanks,

Jim R.

These two threads may (or may not) help:

For me, I never updated the IntelliPro firmware. On the IntelliCenter side, I did upgrade to 2.006 and the problem seemed to be resolved. I have since reverted back to 1.064 and the issue has not yet repeated itself.

Tony

For me, after the Intellicenter upgrade to 2.006 I lost Intellicenter connection to both my Intelliflo VSFs. This happened the exact instant I switched from Service Mode to Auto Mode. I downgraded to 1.064 and both pumps were still offline.

Per advice on another post, I moved the pumps' RS485 connection to the RS485 expansion board, and voila, both reconnected.

I'm suspicious that when I switched out of Service Mode, Pentair bricked something in the "original" serial interface for the pumps with their premature 2.x firmware release.

For me, I never updated the IntelliPro firmware. On the IntelliCenter side, I did upgrade to 2.006 and the problem seemed to be resolved. I have since reverted back to 1.064 and the issue has not yet repeated itself.

Tony
Prior to upgrading and downgrading your intellicenter firmware, how did you resolve the issue? Simply cycling the Intellicenter? My rs485 is acting up again and I cant seem to get the pump connected by power cycling this time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I moved the pump RS485 connections to one of the RS485 connections on the surge board (where the Intelliph/Intellichlor connects). It works now. I still believe the firmware upgraded somehow bricked the "dedicated" pump RS485 connection on the main PCB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.