Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have an intellicenter I5p single body w/SCG. It was installed in 2020 and has worked well the past 3 years, but after trying to start the pool up after the winter, the display is blank with no signs of life.
My current level of diagnosis was to confirm I’m getting power to the board. I measured the voltage on the i5P Main Control Board (P/N 522079) and I’m getting 28vac reading on the terminals that are supposed to be 24vac, and I’m getting 20vac on the terminals that are supposed to be 18vac.
I’ve also confirmed I cannot connect to it with my phone with the blank screen.
Looking for advice on how to find the problem and fix it.
I didn’t see anything that looked alarming to me. See photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 5
S,

I would unplug everything but the power cable, and see what happens...

Most likely a power supply chip on the main card is bad, but removing all the input wires will eliminate the possibility that one of the external inputs is loading the card down.

Let's see if Tom has worked on any of the new cards... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: SSharp
Tom has an IntelliCenter card of mine that bricked itself during a storm and a few others.

The IntelliCenter is good but seems to be overly sensitive to lightning around it.

Cost me $1,000 for a new board.

Reactions: SSharp
Before dropping $1k on a new board, I was doing some more diagnostics just trying to make sure that’s the problem. It does not appear I’m getting any voltage out of the transformer for the salt cell. I’m getting 240v out of the breaker into the power relay, but am not able to detect power downstream from that. So few questions:
1. Should I be able to get the panel to work if I disconnect enough stuff related to the salt cell, or does that need to be functional for the panel to work?
2. My method of confirming transformer power is the red wires coming out of the transformer and disconnecting from the main board. Based on what I see, I should be getting about 39v out of this as mine is wired with the standard 240v.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 2
S,

Your salt cell transformer is connected to the Pump/Filter relay like it should..

That relay will not close unless you are in the Pool or Spa mode..

If the main card is bad, the Pump/Filter relay will never close..

Do you get 240 volts when you measure between the yellow and white wires?
While there, also measure between the two red wires on the same relay.

Please tell me what you get...

Do not measure to ground, only measure between the wires, as testing to ground can give you a false reading.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

That is what you should get when the pump/filter relay is not being told to close..

Sounds like a bad card to me. I assume that your display is still blank. (See below..)

Sometimes, idiot installers will power the system transformer off of the GFCI outlet on the side of the EasyTouch.. Test the GFCI outlet with a light and see if it is working. If not, push the GFCI reset button and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.