NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Question for those of you running the Intellicenter, and possibly any other Pentair automation using ScreenLogic. When you have freeze protection mode enabled, for example on both Pool and Spa circuits, the automation will toggle between the two circuits about every 15 minutes, in order to keep water flowing through both circuits. Is there a way to get the automation to do something similar on a feature circuit, where there is only one "on" position?

Let me try to explain further. I have a feature circuit (Floor Cleaner) set up for my IFCS, that actuates a 3-way valve, to direct flow through the IFCS. When this circuit is off, the flow goes through a bypass loop around the IFCS. I currently have the freeze protection selected for the 'Floor Cleaner' circuit, which will turn this circuit on, anytime the freeze protection kicks in. But this will just turn the IFCS on and not cycle it on/off to keep water flowing through both the bypass loop and the IFCS. I think this needs to be set up to toggle it on/off so that it doesn't freeze up the bypass loop, but not sure how to accomplish this.

--Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry, but I do not have answer for you.. :(

I have an EasyTouch, and assume the freeze protection will work about the same.. What I do know, is that if you add freeze protection to a Circuit, it will come on and stay on when freeze protection kicks in.. I use this "feature" to turn on a small heater inside my equipment shed. The point being, it does not cycle.

I suggest that you set up your IFCS for freeze protection and then stick your air temp sensor into a cup full of ice cubes.. This will cause the system to go into the freeze protection mode and you can see if your IFCS cycles or not...

As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn cycling on and off.. I believe that the Pool and Spa circuits are preprogrammed to cycle and "maybe" the "In-Floor Cleaner" is also programmed to do it..

Give it a shot and tell us what you find out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It seems for some reason there is very little documentation on any freeze protection on any of these systems. Your best bet might be to try their tech support line. I have jandy with no automation so I cannot be of help. However I do have a in floor cleaning system. I only have two returns to the pool The in-floor cleaning system and the waterfall. I have found it very useful to leave the in floor cleaning system valve cracked just a little bit (just enough to get the heads to pop up) anytime the waterfall is running. This gives you a low flow out of your cleaning system with a high suction for your main drain. this seems to help sweep the stuff into the main drain instead of just blowing it everywhere. So if you're comfortable moving the stops in your actuator you could potentially make it so your in-floor cleaning system always has a little bit going to it. Actually thinking about it while I'm writing this... that probably wouldn't be enough to push the heads up with the low RPM of the freeze protection so you would not get the cycling effect in the in floor cleaning system but perhaps you might find the other tip useful in some way.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jeff, I am sorry no one has answered this yet. My guess is it is due to a lack of knowledge on these systems. Here is a bump to get it in front of more eyes.

No worries, Kim. Thanks for bumping it. I've been out of pocket the last week or so anyhow, so wasn't focused on this anyway. Just returned today from a 2600 mile trip to move my dad back from Pahrump NV, to SW Oklahoma. Half of that was in a 26' U-Haul. 😱

I suggest that you set up your IFCS for freeze protection and then stick your air temp sensor into a cup full of ice cubes.. This will cause the system to go into the freeze protection mode and you can see if your IFCS cycles or not...

@Jimrahbe - Thanks for the recommendation. I've been so pre-occupied with planning the aforementioned trip, that didn't even occur to me. I should be ashamed of myself, being a controls and automation engineer, but oh well. This is why I like to surround myself with others, who can snap me out of the mind fog occasionally. I will give this a try tomorrow. My guess is that I will likely need to get Pentair tech help on the horn, as Rich D suggested. And my other guess is that they likely never thought of this except for the opposing (pool/spa) circuits.

Thank you,

Jeff

a 2600 mile trip to move my dad back from Pahrump NV, to SW Oklahoma. Half of that was in a 26' U-Haul.
That is enough but now the "real" work of getting him settled in.

Sounds like you have a plan and that is what counts. Get to it when you can. Dad's needs overshadow everything else and that is okay! You can run everything to keep it safe if the temps get that low for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.