Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
@MyAZPool
Tried to wire the control transformer. Black wire to its own breaker.
Violet wire to neutral bar.

Smoked when I turned on breaker. Now no power testing at the two low voltage connections. System & Valve.

Bad transformer ????

Yea sir. Intellicenter with transformer that have to be wired. Only has system transformer installed currently.

Black violet and yellow wires

Black to hot
Violet to neutral
Yellow to nowhere

120v breaker dedicated for intellicenter system

I see I messed up the thread title. If everything wasn’t labled intelli in the pentair world.

But yea. Intellicenter

Last edited:
K,

The only time I've ever seen transformers go up in smoke, is when they were connected to 240 when set to 120 volts.

That said, if you connected as you outlined above, then the transformer must have been bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That’s what I’m thinking. Thanks for the reply. I’m just nervous that the control board got too much current, but I’d say if that was the case the push breaker would of tripped.

I’ll Try to track down a transformer and replace it.

I’ve noticed on some pics people post if their intellicenter that the edges of the transformers for both salt cell and control panel are a little yellowed. Do they hold much heat ??

K,

I think the varnish just yellows over time.

I have EasyTouch systems and have no experience with the new IntelliCenter, but I have seen no evidence of overheating in any of my EasyTouch units.

I've been doing this "stuff" for a pretty long time, and I can count on one hand the number of bad power transformers that I have seen. I don't count the ones that were obviously blown up by being incorrectly connected. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am now having same issue with an easy touch. Pentair sending someone out... Maybe a QC issue? New install... Wired 120v just as OP did. Started smoking... Not risking anything further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.