Intellicenter Configuration Questions

Soupy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Maryland
Yo, @MyAZPool, I've got some questions. :)

Let me preface with a summary of my system. The Intellicenter, Intellichlor, Intelliflo, and heater are all brand new, so I'm still dialing in things:
  • The main relay has the Intellichlor connected to it, powered from the Intelliflo VS breaker.
  • The Intelliflo VS is directly connected to its breaker. Configured as "VS" within the Intellicenter. I created a handful of Feature Circuits mapped to different pump speeds.
  • Aux1 relay has the Polaris booster pump.
  • Aux2 relay has the pool light.
  • The Raypak heater has its remote control connection hooked up to the Intellicenter heater control, and always has power.
  • Air and water temperature probes installed and working.
  • No valve automation.

Question 1: What precisely is the role of the main relay / circuit? It's controlled by the on/off switch for the Pool Body of water. But toggling this doesn't turn the pump on. But it turns on the Intellichlor, which is behavior I shouldn't want (Intellichlor on with pump off).

Question 2: Similarly, I can turn the heater on, but that doesn't start the pump either. Is there any way to link "heater on" with "speed 2000"?

Question 3: I have to turn the Pool Body on in order to get a temperature reading. This means that I have the Intellichlor on as well, even if I don't want to make chlorine. It seems like there is absolutely no reason to have the IC40 on the main relay. I feel like I should put the Intellichlor on Aux3, and make a Circuit Group for Aux3 and "speed 1000"

Question 4: How do I schedule turning the heater on? We don't leave the heater enabled 24/7, and only turn it on when we plan on swimming later that day. I'd like to schedule the heater to turn on every Sat/Sun at 8AM. There's no Circuit or Feature for the heater that I can link into a schedule.

Question 5: How does it handle overlaps in schedules, particularly for things like pump speed? i.e. a schedule for chlorination with pump speed 1000, and a schedule for heating with pump speed 2000. Does the last schedule always take effect? Or is it smart enough to keep the fastest speed running?

In a "well duh" moment, I think I've figured out Question 1. I can go into the pump configuration, select the Pool circuit, and then assign a speed to it.
With that said, let me rephrase Question 3. Do I really need to daisy chain the Main relay to Aux3, if I configure Chlorination as a Circuit Group that contains "speed 1000" and "aux3 on"? Is there any reason to involve the Main relay?

Soup,

If your salt cell has any lights on, when the pump is not running, then your SWCG is not wired correctly. The SWCG transformer MUST be wired to the load side of the Pump/Filter relay.

If your IntelliFlo is wired to the Pump/Filter relay, if must be wired to the Line side of the contacts.. The pump get constant AC power.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Yo, Soupy

Question 1: What precisely is the role of the main relay / circuit? It's controlled by the on/off switch for the Pool Body of water. But toggling this doesn't turn the pump on. But it turns on the Intellichlor, which is behavior I shouldn't want (Intellichlor on with pump off).
Looks as though you got that figured out. Follow the guidelines pointed out by @Jimrahbe, and you'll be cool.

Question 2: Similarly, I can turn the heater on, but that doesn't start the pump either. Is there any way to link "heater on" with "speed 2000"?
Yes.
1. Create a FEATURE CIRCUIT named say "Speed2000".
2. Navigate to the PUMPS page and associate that FEATURE CIRCUIT with the pump speed ("2000").
3. Lastly create a Macro (CIRCUIT GROUP). Call it whatever you like that makes sense to you but for purposes here, lets call it "HEAT2000".
4. In the pull down in that CIRCUIT GROUP that you created, add the FEATURE CIRCUIT "Speed2000", and then add your heater FEATURE CIRCUIT (SEE ALSO #4 BELOW).

Now anytime that you activate that CIRCUIT GROUP called (HEAT2000), either through user intervention or through a schedule, the pump motor will spin up to 2000 RPM and the heater will come on. It's as simple as that.

Question 3: I have to turn the Pool Body on in order to get a temperature reading. This means that I have the Intellichlor on as well, even if I don't want to make chlorine. It seems like there is absolutely no reason to have the IC40 on the main relay. I feel like I should put the Intellichlor on Aux3, and make a Circuit Group for Aux3 and "speed 1000"
Not exactly true. You will get a temperature reading all the time. When the pool pump is static (not on), you are getting a temperature reading of the static water in the pipe where the temperature sensor is located. When the pump is running, you are getting a somewhat accurate temperature reading of the water in the pool.

As long as the pool circuit (Filter Pump Power Relay) is energized, the IntelliChlor will be energized because you have it wired to the load side of that Filter Pump Power Relay. And that is how most users wire it up. There is another way that I and several others choose to wire it that involves jumpering the relays. That way, I get to have much more control when I want my IntelliChlor to be on and active. This feature is mostly beneficial for those that live in climates where we do not winterize our pools but where the IntelliChlor is not needed (and will not function anyway) in the winter. Jumpering relays can be useful for some in this respect. I suggest first, that you take a look at the first 5 posts of the following thread. I think you will come away understanding the inner workings of the IntelliCenter quite a bit more rather than trying to interpret the Pentair documentation.

Question 4: How do I schedule turning the heater on? We don't leave the heater enabled 24/7, and only turn it on when we plan on swimming later that day. I'd like to schedule the heater to turn on every Sat/Sun at 8AM. There's no Circuit or Feature for the heater that I can link into a schedule.
You need to create a FEATURE CIRCUIT for it. And then if you care to, you can then embed that FEATURE CIRCUIT with other FEATURE CIRCUITS (like valve actuators, pump speeds, etc.) into the same CIRCUIT GROUP. You can then control several items with the tap of one virtual button. Lastly, you can then select either a FEATURE CIRCUIT or a CIRCUIT GROUP in "SCHEDULES" and configure the schedule as applicable.

Question 5: How does it handle overlaps in schedules, particularly for things like pump speed? i.e. a schedule for chlorination with pump speed 1000, and a schedule for heating with pump speed 2000. Does the last schedule always take effect? Or is it smart enough to keep the fastest speed running?
Right. Here is the first rule of thumb that you always need to try to remember about pump speed conflicts. "THE HIGHEST SPEED ALWAYS WINS". When setting up schedules, why are you overlapping them in the first place? You should set your schedules up so that they don't overlap. Are you trying to confuse the IntelliCenter? :p Because it is easily confused. It's just not "that smart". Actually, its pretty dumb. It will only do exactly what we tell it to do.
No "Artificial Intelligence" built in, regardless of what the name implies. (y)

Sorry, I would have sent you screen shots but like all the rest of us, the web client is being "funky", again this morning. I hope this helps clear up some things
for you.
Take care
r.

Last edited:
Not exactly true. You will get a temperature reading all the time.
If I turn the Pool off, it says "Last Temp" instead of "Current Temp"
You need to create a FEATURE CIRCUIT for it. And then if you care to, you can then embed that FEATURE CIRCUIT with other FEATURE CIRCUITS (like valve actuators, pump speeds, etc.) into the same CIRCUIT GROUP. You can then control several items with the tap of one virtual button. Lastly, you can then select either a FEATURE CIRCUIT or a CIRCUIT GROUP in "SCHEDULES" and configure the schedule as applicable.
I know how to make a Feature Circuit and a Circuit Group. But if I make a Feature Circuit named "Activate Heater" I don't see any way to associate that FC to the on/off state of the heater.

Looks like the web interface is backup. For now.

Attachments

• Features.JPG
    Features.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 11
If I turn the Pool off, it says "Last Temp" instead of "Current Temp"

I know how to make a Feature Circuit and a Circuit Group. But if I make a Feature Circuit named "Activate Heater" I don't see any way to associate that FC to the on/off state of the heater.

Looks like the web interface is backup. For now.
The web client is still down. At least mine is anyway.

Name the FEATURE CIRCUIT exactly the same name as the Heater Name in OTHER EQUIPMENT > HEATERS. That is the way that mine works. Because I am running a different firmware version, I suppose that it could be that there are slight diffs but I doubt it. It has always worked like that for me.

Yes, it says last temp but it is still measuring the temp all of the time. What you see in that page is what the last temp was when the pool circuit was actually on. If you look at your temp history, you'll see the temps rise and fall based on when the pool circuit is energized.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem to work. pump fires up, but the heater mode never turns on.

Here’s screenshots from the iOS app.

Attachments

• 41E05BBB-9ADC-4227-812B-24025158EBD3.png
    41E05BBB-9ADC-4227-812B-24025158EBD3.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 14
  • AB20F503-1E83-436E-9C63-7AFC3FE76F28.png
    AB20F503-1E83-436E-9C63-7AFC3FE76F28.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D70FB49E-F826-416D-9000-92FD0E764E0C.png
    D70FB49E-F826-416D-9000-92FD0E764E0C.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 747D50F0-7A2E-4D71-85CA-8ABD5172C8FA.png
    747D50F0-7A2E-4D71-85CA-8ABD5172C8FA.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 14
Originally, I thought that maybe your pool circuit wasn't on but in the last screenshot, I see that it is. Mine is setup in a non-standard configuration, so I don't have to do that, so that's on me.
Question. Is "Pool Ct" the Pool Circuit? Can I see a screenshot of you AUX Circuits?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also... How is the Raypak connected to power? And, do you have the heaters fireman's switch connected properly to the J2 connector on the mothercard? I ask, because honestly, your circuits (FEATURE AND GROUPS) look good.

Circuits screenshot from the web interface attached. "Pool Ct" is the Pool Circuit.

The Raypak is always powered. It has a specific Remote circuit that it uses instead of the Fireman's switch.

The heater works fine if I manually turn it on in the Intellicenter "Pool(s)" screen, specifically the button that currently reads "Heater Off" in one of those previous screenshots.

Attachments

• Circuits.JPG
    Circuits.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 12
Well, at least that eliminates those possibilities so that's good.
But something is not right.
Dang it, I wish I could log in to the web client. I see yours is up as indicated by the AUX CIRCUITS screenshot. I'm most likely seen as a "troublemaker" now in Pentairs' eyes, so maybe they've placed my account on the "bad boy" server. :( I'll try working off the iOS app. Please standby.

On your FEATURE CIRCUIT named GAS HEATER, check the checkbox "Show as Feature". And then try that CIRCUIT GROUP.
Why is your iOS IntelliCenter app in dark mode?

Because I'm a Dark Mode kind of guy. :)

Screenshot with the Circuit Group on. The Feature Circuits turn on, but it doesn't seem to actually toggle the heater.

Attachments

• Heater.JPG
    Heater.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
Because I'm a Dark Mode kind of guy. :)
Screenshot with the Circuit Group on. The Feature Circuits turn on, but it doesn't seem to actually toggle the heater.
Gotcha lol... I only asked because there were a bunch of dark mode problems with the iOS app in the past and I had thought a lot of that was corrected.
Okay. Better.
So let me see if I got this right. If you toggle the heater off/heater on button in the Pools screen, the heater will come on.
But if you activate the heater feature circuit, nothing happens. Got it.
Navigate to SETTINGS > GENERAL SETTINGS > ADVANCED SETTINGS. Scroll down to "Manual Heat (default: off)" and insure that the checkbox is not checked.
If it is checked, then uncheck it and try again.
r.

Found it, set it, heater still doesn’t turn on. The documentation suggests that option only effects a spa. You’ve got a dual body unit, right? I wonder if that might explain the difference I behavior.

Found it, set it, heater still doesn’t turn on. The documentation suggests that option only effects a spa. You’ve got a dual body unit, right? I wonder if that might explain the difference I behavior.
Yea, I know. I double checked it in the manual too. But that was the only other thing that I could come up with.
And it might just very well be a difference between the "P" and the "PS" models as you mentioned. Go figure.

All I know is that I can activate my heater by turning on the heater FEATURE CIRCUIT or by turning on a CIRCUIT GROUP that has the heater FEATURE CIRCUIT embedded in it. It works perfectly.

I'm out of ideas on this one. I would suggest that you give tech support a call and get them to walk you through it or see what they have to say about it.
Would you please keep us informed on this one? I for one, would really like to know what is up with this :scratch:

And you are running v1.040 firmware right? Now, there are some lines in the release notes of beta version 1.043 that say the following:
"- Implement Connected Gas Heater".
"- wizard: Support for connected gas heater".
" - icweb: Support for Connected Heaters".

In beta version 1.042
"- Wizard: Heater Creation rules Do Not Follow ic".

Maybe these are possible fixes to this very issue with the single-body (P) models.
Ask tech support for beta v1.043. Maybe that's the ticket. EDIT: You might have to get "firm" with them, depending on who you talk with, but they will capitulate eventually. They don't like to hand out the beta's indiscriminately unless they're fairly convinced that it will resolve the OP's issue.

Thanks for trying all of my ideas even if we weren't totally successful.
r.

Technical Support
Toll Free
(800) 831-7133, * Press 1-1-1-1-1-3 for IntelliCenter

Sanford, North Carolina (8 AM to 8 PM ET)
Phone: (919) 566-8000
Fax: (919) 566-8920

Moorpark, California (5 AM to 5 PM PT)
Phone: (805) 553-5000
Fax: (805) 553-5515

Last edited:
I've noticed one other glitch which I'll document here. I configured the pool cleaner booster pump's Circuit (AUX1) as type Master Cleaner. When I activate that Circuit, it turns on the Pool Circuit, and that activates the pump speed "circuit", but the pump doesn't actually turn on. So the booster pump ends up turning on with the main pump off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.