Integrate a Goldline GL-35 Solar Controller to a raspberry pi?

Feb 17, 2011
I have a Goldline GL-35 Solar Controller. It moves a 24V Actuator on a 3-way valve to direct water to the solar panels when heat is called for, and bypass the panels when no heat is called for.

For my DIY automation system, I need to know when the panels are active, so I can boost the output of the pump. And decrease the pump output when the panels are bypassed.
I have one potential solution, which is to add a microswitch inside of the valve actuator itself... I have a mockup working, assuming I can find a way to mount the microswitch inside the actuator, drill a hole in it for the wires, etc.

My thinking is that a better way would be to somehow get the "call for heat" signal right from the CG-35. There is a green LED that lights up when solar heat is called for. But I don't know how I would wire this to a raspberry pi input- (considering the GL-35 has its own power supply.. .I would think the two devices would need to be isolated)

Any electronic experts out there with ideas?

Also, I cannot find any type of schematic for the GL-35.

The valve actuators plug into the valve actuator sockets.

The SPST-NO (Single Pole, Single Throw- Normally Open) isolated contact is a separate thing.

See the manual linked in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.