Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

I used my sand filter pump and the vacuum head to drain mine. Just set the pump on waste and the vacuum head on the bottom of pool. It drained mine all the way down leaving just some spots. I then used my wet/dry vac to get the rest.

This is my first year to have it up. I had to drain mine when I was first went to fill it up. I didn't have the sides tied down and the wind blew the sides inside the pool letting water get underneath. So I had to drain and start again. I am thinking about leaving it up this year and see how it goes.

Here is what I did today. The Liner is 25Mil, I paid$127 from a place called Doheny.com they fedex overnight for free. Then I got the Plastic Grommets from
Harbor freight. I am filling it now. I also did the piping for the outlet like you did with PVC. I am afraid to cut the inlet. I wish the filter would work from the
over the top of the pool. I have my neighbor coming over tomorrow to help me cut the hole.
This is my 3rd year with this liner. I usually take it down every year..

I am thinking maybe this year. I take the new liner out, leave the rest of the pool up. Put a cover on it, put something in the pool to keep the cover high up,
then tie the frame with a few straps to keep it from moving. Any ideas?

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,356

If you going to leave the pool up, I would also leave the new liner with water in it. Most people who leave agp pool's up over the winter drain the water level about 6" below the skimmer and return openings. An empty pool is a big sail, just waiting to catch wind.

Do you think it will be ok? We do have rough winters here in NJ. I am guessing this liner will hold up better than the intex liner.

Well, I am in Minnesota and our winters are pretty rough. My pool is a agp with liner and I have been through 2 winters with no problems. My neighbor who has an intex metal frame has been through 3 winters with no problems (as have many others around here).

The big problem I see with taking your liner out is that it may get wrinkly and hard. Agp vinyl liners (non-intex type) should not be left dry. Once filled, only extreme circumstances should cause a full drain...and then the liner is at risk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How could I add a sand filter to my setup, I have the 3 in 1 pump/swg/cartridge filter intex unit, but am tiring of cleaning the filter every two days! Any ideas!!

I took my old cartridge filter and hooked it up up after my swg. So it goes intex sand filter, intex swg, and then cartridge filter. I did take the propeller out of the cartridge filter. I didn't notice any flow loss. The reason I added the cartridge filer was to see if there was anything getting by the sandfilter. You could do the same and just take out the cartridge.

This has been the best with my pool. I changed the liner and everything with this pool has been working amazing. Let's hope it stays fine through the winter, which I am sure it will.

Reactions: Captain Overkill

I have an intex 24x52. We were going to replace the liner until I read about the overlay 25mil. Do you recommend a gorilla ground covering?

lconnor03 said:
I have an intex 24x52. We were going to replace the liner until I read about the overlay 25mil. Do you recommend a gorilla ground covering?
I put under mine two regular tarps and one layer of 5ml plastic (the plastic was just something I already had so just decided to use it). This will only be the second season of it being up so don't have much information on how it is doing. Haven't had any signs of leaking. If you are wanting some kind of cushion the gorilla covering would be good. I have not really read up the gorilla covering so someone else might be able to give more advice.

Ok, so I'm taking a chance posting on such an old thread, but I have 2 questions:
1.) How is the twine 'fastened' to the ground from each grommet?
2.) Any tips on cutting the new intake valve hole? And should the return valve be cut as well, or run over the side as pictured?

I hope someone sees this post! I'm trying this method this afternoon!
Thanks

Musmin2415 said:
Ok, so I'm taking a chance posting on such an old thread, but I have 2 questions:
1.) How is the twine 'fastened' to the ground from each grommet?
2.) Any tips on cutting the new intake valve hole? And should the return valve be cut as well, or run over the side as pictured?

Ok, so I'm answering my own question (sort of) :)

I took a closer look at one of the pics w/ grommets, and the best I can tell is that they possibly ran the twine down from each grommet, under each leg, and to the next grommet.

I feel that cutting that intake is still going to be a pain in the arse because I'm not quite sure how I'm going to seal it securely enough. I know the OP mentioned silicone adhesive, but I don't see where/how it was used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.