Installing new Jandy LED

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
I have two of these, and had someone replace one last year.
The other one has now died as well, and I am able to get a new light cheap, so I want to install it myself.
Just wanting to confirm...
I will need do verify which one I am pulling on. Note the wire connections.
Pull out the old one with something attached to the other end. For those of you who have done this, are you using string, rope, or maybe even fish tape?
Pull it out, connect string or whatever I use to the end of new light and pull through.
Hook up just like the old one.
Test.
Also, I assume as long as it is hooked up correctly there is nothing else I need to do? Light will automatically sync up with the other?

These are the nichless LEDs by jandy

The other one has now died as well, and I am able to get a new light cheap, so I want to install it myself.
Pull out the old one with something attached to the other end. For those of you who have done this, are you using string, rope, or maybe even fish tape?
Pull it out, connect string or whatever I use to the end of new light and pull through.
Test.
Also, I assume as long as it is hooked up correctly there is nothing else I need to do? Light will automatically sync up with the other?

If there is enough cord on the old light to set it on the deck to work on it, usually, the old light is cut off the existing cord, the remaining conductors are stripped about 6", the end of the new is stripped the same, the copper wires are then looped together and taped (electrical tape) tight and the old cord is used to pull the new light through. Don't make a big ball of tape, keep the wrap about the same size as the cord, just spread a few layers over about 6" or so. If the pull gets very hard, it is good to have a helper feed the new cord into the conduit/pipe. Don't try to pull a kink out of the new cord, you'll pull the splice apart and then have to start over with a fish tape, it must feed as straight in as possible.

If you can't see the pool from the j-box, be prepared to make a few trips back and forth to be sure the cord is going in straight. As soon as it gets hard, go check to see if the cord has kinked.

If you can't get the old light on the deck, you may have to cut the old light off and pull the old cord from the conduit/pipe and then follow the above with a fish tape. Its hard to get tape to stick underwater.

Un-curling the entire new light cord and stretching it as straight as possible, across the yard and into the pool if necessary, really helps. If you need a fish tape, Harbor Freight Tools has a 50' one for about $10.00

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Test.

Fish tape works well. I had all three of mine replaced twice in a pool that is going on its second year. Conclusion is these lights are garbage. Bummer because that is what my PB used. You notice when the lights start not working on certain colors. Mine was the blue and it started looking green, then died. That happened on all my lights and Jandy replaced them twice. As soon as they are out of warranty forget it about it. We don't even use them much because the bugs come. Seriously in the first year last year we used them maybe 5 or 6 times for a maybe a half an hour each time. In that time all of them failed twice and I saw them open brand new sealed boxes so I wasn't getting left over Crud.

I still have the Jandy. I won't even use them this year perhaps more than 2 or 3 times if that. There is a thread in here somewhere where someone mentions another light that can work in place of the Hydrocool lights. I haven't tried them as mine were replaced under warranty.

I have two of these. I replaced one last year, and now the other is going out.
Someone mentioned there was a thread or something, where they talked about an alternative you could get that works with the Jandy stuff?

Anyone know if this is true?
Do these alternatives work with iAqualink?

The current ones I have are:

JLU4C24W100​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.