Installing in West by god.

Thanks mr b. I was looking and recording the wrong side of comparator. One thing though my FC is 3, my pH is 7.8, but my TA seems to be reading to high, yesterday 110 today 100. I set my target for TA for 75 enact calculator. The calculator does not tell me to do anything about the high TA reading. Is this because I have not entered a way that I would be dealing with this event, i.e. Muratic acid, borax?

Thanks mr b. I was looking and recording the wrong side of comparator. One thing though my FC is 3, my pH is 7.8, but my TA seems to be reading to high, yesterday 110 today 100. I set my target for TA for 75 enact calculator. The calculator does not tell me to do anything about the high TA reading. Is this because I have not entered a way that I would be dealing with this event, i.e. Muratic acid, borax?

I know if you want to RAISE your TA, then you should add a certain amount of baking soda. But that's not your problem, is it?

I've never dealt with a higher TA level than I wanted, but the Pool Math does mention this by saying...
"To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH."

But to be certain, I think I would wait for one of the more experienced folk comment here. I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction when it's something I have never done myself, ya know??

I know what you mean mr b. My CYA level went down to 30. Added 14 oz. conditioner two days ago today, I lifted the cover and found half of it still on the bottom of pool in original form. I guess it will dissolve eventually. Looked at some info online found if I added a quart of muratic acid it would help bring the readings to a better level. But waiting for an opinion before doing so, unless I find it has raised again tomorrow. I have to rely totally on the science at this point, since the weather has been so bad, every day it does not rain, I need it working on the pool and not swimming, to feel the effects of what the pool water might be like first hand. Maybe soon. Never seen it rain so much this time of the year though.

I'd brush that CYA around a bit since you put it in directly. I hope it doesn't sit on the surface and mar the pool?

Next time try putting it in the leg of hosiery and either sit it in a skimmer with the pump on until it is gone, or hang in front of a return but not touching the wall.

Maddie :flower:

TA is the last thing we work on for the water levels. It and pH go hand in hand. If your pH is steady then you do not need to mess with the TA. If your pH pushes up fast then you can lower the TA to help the pH even out. Each pool is different. Some like a TA of 80, some 50. We will work on this over the next month to find what YOUR pool likes.

Lowering TA is a process instead of a one time thing. In short you use muriatic acid to lower the pH and TA. Then you use aeration (turning the return up so it rolls the water good) to push the pH up to 8.0 or so. You do this over and over until you have the TA where you want it. Here is the link to it: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Kim:kim:

Well this morning I awoke and there was this big orange yellow ball in the sky. After working in mud all day, it dried up at quitting time. Still manage to get some things done. Got most of the sleepers in place. Went to lowes and picked up most of the joists. Checked 84 lumber prices, they offered me contractors price, since it was such a big order. Researched and found that contractor price was on average 2 dollars more for every board I bought at lowes. Don't know how 84 stays in business. I do know now, why they don't advertise any prices on the internet. Won't be long now, I will be closing the pool.IMG_6857.jpgIMG_6858.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pin Oaks are nice at holding their leaves through the fall. It will get messy in the spring though. I use to have one close to the pool I shared with my first ex husband. You've done a really nice job on the pool thus far.

Might have to cut the tree down if it gives me to much trouble. Will trim it from over the pool first. We put 5 rows of joists on, most time taken planing 2x6's to even out the height of the joists. Some boards were nearly a quarter inch bigger or smaller which ever way you look at it. Between that and bowing it was not fun. We were rained out at 1 pm today. So not much done again accept trying to make flat that which was not. IMG_6878.jpg

Finally erected the deck to the point, where I wanted the steps to be. And I promptly put them in and entered the pool for the first time. 60% chance of rain today turned out to be a great day. Almost completed the deck. The other two narrow side decks, I have decided to put off till next spring. Railing is going to be erected soon. IMG_6906.jpgIMG_6907.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.