Installing a salt cell

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Been a member on hear for quite awhile and have been using the liquid chlorine method for the last 6 years and have had sparkling water with not having to do any pool drains. My post is in regards to possibly installing a salt cell on our pool equipment especially with the price of chlorine going up. On occasion I have read about people having installed them saying its the best thing they ever did among other positive comments. My question or questions would be, what dose it usually cost to install one of these systems (I am in the Phoenix area), is their any maintenance if is what it involves, lastly what brand would be advisable........we have a Hayward VSP pump that was newly installed 1 1/2 ago.

Thanks as always
Jim

If you install one DIY, see Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features . The Circupool RJ45 or similar would be best for your pool size.

If you hire someone to install one, a Hayward Aquarite 40K rated would be the best.

Either will need a timer to control them as you do not want power to them when your pump is not running.

Post up a picture of your pad, we can then tell you how simple an install it is.

Chlorine vs SWCG is basically even, except no lugging chlorine and in simplest terms SWCG is similar to your thermostat for heat in your house, you turn it up or down as required.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Post up a picture of your pad, we can then tell you how simple an install it is.

Chlorine vs SWCG is basically even, except no lugging chlorine and in simplest terms SWCG is similar to your thermostat for heat in your house, you turn it up or down as required.
Sorry for the late response, but here is a pic of our equipment........I have to be honest I am average at best when it comes to DYI projects, I do some but definately know my limitations........I will probably have someone install it for us......Thanks for the info from both you and mknauss

Attachments

• 20210402_145611.jpg
    20210402_145611.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 34
So I got a couple of quotes regarding install of the Hayward Autorite 40k.......my question is they are recommending a pool drain so the water has a base to start from......thoughts on that?
I installed mine myself last year. Circupool RJ60. It was simple. And I didn't refill. Just added salt - but make sure you get a Taylor test kit - the strips were way off and I ended up over-salting and having to do a part drain.

I think the good thing about Circupool SWG if you DIY install the warranty is still good.

I'm guessing they want to lower the salt level in your pool but that seems crazy to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are the chemistry parameters of your pool water? Can you post up a full set of test results? Or share your Poolmath data?

I just installed my RJ60+ yesterday, fired it up this morning and all is well. After 3 1/2 years of adding liquid chlorine to my freshly filled pool the salt level was over 4000ppm and I had to partially drain and refill to get in down into the mid 3000s. I'm still waiting for the SWG to calculate the NaCl ppm to compare with my Taylor drop test, but it fired right up and was pushing tiny bubbles from the returns, so far so good.

Last edited:
Found a local Hayward dealer that will install it for $150, which for me is well worth the price plus the unit price. He also laughed when I told him about draining and re-filling, said its totally un-necessary as long as the pool water is balanced which it is.......FC-6.5....CYA 60.....PH 7.6......TA 80.......water is crystal clear

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.