Installed upgrade Aqualink IQ-30 RS Antenna & PCB- Pump Won't Turn On

cvacd5

Jul 6, 2020
Round Rock TX
Hi! Hoping one of y'all can save my day here. So I had an old system Aqualink with PDA and contacted Jandy because my pump would not turn on anymore and they informed me that the only upgrade possible to do would be the IQ-30 RS, which I purchased and installed. I replaced the pump with a new motor, Hayward 1.5 super pump single phase (same as previous one I had). When I select to turn the pump on either at the control panel or through iaqualink the relay kicks on but the pump does not come on. I checked the power going to the pump from the relay and to the relay and have the combined 230. iaqualink says I have Filter Pump Jandy ePump1 (offline) under info. Also under help it says error epump 1 RS485 Error. Problem is I don't have a epump and it is not turning my pump on. Anybody have any idea on how to fix this issue?
Model- RS-8 Only
Rev T.2
CPU B0029224
Running IQ 3.0

Hi! Hoping one of y'all can save my day here. So I had an old system Aqualink with PDA and contacted Jandy because my pump would not turn on anymore and they informed me that the only upgrade possible to do would be the IQ-30 RS, which I purchased and installed. I replaced the pump with a new motor, Hayward 1.5 super pump single phase (same as previous one I had). When I select to turn the pump on either at the control panel or through iaqualink the relay kicks on but the pump does not come on. I checked the power going to the pump from the relay and to the relay and have the combined 230. iaqualink says I have Filter Pump Jandy ePump1 (offline) under info. Also under help it says error epump 1 RS485 Error. Problem is I don't have a epump and it is not turning my pump on. Anybody have any idea on how to fix this issue?
Model- RS-8 Only
Rev T.2
CPU B0029224
Running IQ 3.0
Did you purchase a new upgrade kit? They don't come from the factory setup for a VSP.
In your "System setup" menu you need to select a single-speed pump as the filtration pump, not a variable speed pump. Try clearing the memory, see page 30 of the manual.
On the filter-pump relay is there a connection from a dual-pole (hopefully GFCI) breaker to terminals 1 and 3 and then the pump connected to 2 and 4? Is there power at 1 and 3? 240v when tested between 1 and 3? When the relay is "on" is there power at 2 and 4? 240v when tested between them? Is there power at the terminals in the pump motor? 240v?

I purchased it from a pool service company who had it installed one day but had to replace it because it is a pool only board and they needed the pool & spa one. So I erased the memory and set it up for the SP pump, wasn't listed as an option in iaqualink but I could set it as just a filter pump. I tested the lines on the relay connected to the GFCI and lines 1 & 3 I get 240, also on 2 & 4 I get 240 when pump is set to on. I had an Aqua Pure also tied into the same line as the pump but removed those leads and capped them since it doesn't work anymore. I have not checked what the pump is getting at the pump yet, I had to order some alligator clips since the back of them pump is only about 10" from the wall and can't get enough behind it to hold two probes without taking a header into the filter or the wall. The pump is getting something because I used one of the test pens that detects a current and it is picking up something, won't know actual voltage until tomorrow.

What started all of this is about a month ago we got hit with a freeze and the system was on in protect mode and when I woke up everything was off but there was still power to control panel. The pump was about 5 years old so I just replaced the motor with the same one I had. Anything else that would prevent the pump from coming on? I assume I don't have any water leaks because the pool level doesn't decrease. I replaced all of the gaskets on the pump, the propeller on the pump spins freely when using finger, there is also nothing blocking it. I even replaced some of the relays as well hoping that would solve the issue. I am running out of things to try unfortunately.

I purchased it from a pool service company who had it installed one day but had to replace it because it is a pool only board and they needed the pool & spa one. So I erased the memory and set it up for the SP pump, wasn't listed as an option in iaqualink but I could set it as just a filter pump. I tested the lines on the relay connected to the GFCI and lines 1 & 3 I get 240, also on 2 & 4 I get 240 when pump is set to on. I had an Aqua Pure also tied into the same line as the pump but removed those leads and capped them since it doesn't work anymore. I have not checked what the pump is getting at the pump yet, I had to order some alligator clips since the back of them pump is only about 10" from the wall and can't get enough behind it to hold two probes without taking a header into the filter or the wall. The pump is getting something because I used one of the test pens that detects a current and it is picking up something, won't know actual voltage until tomorrow.

What started all of this is about a month ago we got hit with a freeze and the system was on in protect mode and when I woke up everything was off but there was still power to control panel. The pump was about 5 years old so I just replaced the motor with the same one I had. Anything else that would prevent the pump from coming on? I assume I don't have any water leaks because the pool level doesn't decrease. I replaced all of the gaskets on the pump, the propeller on the pump spins freely when using finger, there is also nothing blocking it. I even replaced some of the relays as well hoping that would solve the issue. I am running out of things to try unfortunately.
Only two reasonable things possibly left, the wires to the motor (sometimes one will come loose on reassembly) if there isn't power at the motor or the motor itself if there is. A brand-new motor shouldn't be bad, but it has happened a few times to me.

Ok so tested at the pump, when putting on each line together I get .05 but when I do ground wire and L1 or L2 I get 125 on each line. So that can rule out the bad motor correct?
You've lost one "leg" of the power that is supposed to go to the motor. When you test each motor terminal to ground now you are just getting the "same" 125v that is going through the motor. You need to disconnect and test each wire to find out which one has no power. If the first one does then the other doesn't, but check anyway. Seems to indicate no problem with the motor.

Son of a nutcracker!!! It is the circuit breaker I bet!!! After the freeze and when I noticed the pump was off I went to the breaker and it was tripped. I never actually tested the voltage at the breaker, just used the volt pen to see there was power coming from it and not knowing, if I was getting 115 it would show I had power! I am going to change out the breaker and will let you know.

Thanks for the great help! This board is a life saver! Thank you thank you thank you!!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.