Installed new flow switch on IC40 and doesn't appear to be working

sharp7823

Jul 4, 2020
Central California
The SWG was reading about half of the salt as my Taylor kit so I ordered an after market flow switch and just replaced it earlier this morning. There are two things going on. First, prior to replacing it, the minimum flow to get a green light on the SWG was 1550; now it takes 1800 to get green.
Second, the red and green light lights are flashing for the salt level. The salt level shows zero on the intellicenter. Could this be a bad connection in the wires?
My SWG had red, white and black wires, while the new switch had red, opaque or clear, blue and green.
I connected red-red, white-opaque and black to blue and green. Is that correct? Could I just have a wire that is not completely connected?
As always, thank you for any insight.

Update: So I messed around with it a little. Turned pump off and on a couple of times, adjusted flow rate up and down, and ran diagnostics on the swg by holding the "more" button down for 5 seconds. None of the lights lit up showing the life of the cell, which I believe would be an indicator of a new cell (wheresas they would all be lit for a bad cell cell?) Or do I have that backwards? I was anticipating 2 lights (40%) since the swg is 2 years old.
Anyways after doing all of this the salt level light turned a solid red (low salt) with a reading of 1650. I tested with the Taylor k-1776 and got 3400 (same readings before I replaced the switch).
Soooooo, I am back to where I started before replacing the flow switch.

Last edited:
I ordered an after market flow switch

My SWG had red, white and black wires, while the new switch had red, opaque or clear, blue and green.
I connected red-red, white-opaque and black to blue and green. Is that correct?

I have no idea the wire colors used by an aftermarket product.

From Pentair Intellichlor ICXX SWG - Further Reading

Pentair_IntelliChlor_Flow_Switch_3_wire_wiring.png

If you cannot make it work I suggest you try a genuine Pentair flow switch assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.