Input System for Outdoor Speakers

You missed a chance for that. When the echo dot gen 3 first came out, the gen 2 dots were on sale for $19 each. I bought a couple, but maybe should have bought more.

I totally forgot about the Echo Input. Actually the OP could use that to solve their problem. It is the Chromecast of the Amazon ecosystem. I guess fundamentally you just need to pick one way or another. Amazon, Google, or Sonos and just build on top of that. With Sonos you can hybridize a bit but it is a lot more expensive.

For Bluetooth this is what I use, I also bought the large antenna to make sure. There are a couple options as far as which type of unit you want. I have 2 of them, bought 2nd after the first one worked so well, 1 in house and 1 in backyard garage.
I currently have it transmitting 100 ft, through 2 walls, my bar area out to pool side where I have 2 JBL charge 3's. back yard is 100ft deep as well as the front yard and it covers all of it easily. I tested it and can actually go down the street a ways.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Amazon Echo Input to add to my outdoor speaker system - it is just like an Echo-Dot but without the speaker. I have nice outdoor speakers already installed on our pergola along with a little class D amp that I velcroed to the back of our TV that also hangs on our pergola.

I am about to do this set-up with echo dot attached to an old recover that is running outdoor speakers. Any idea if the echo dot signal through rca will turn on the amp from standby?

I ended up going the Echo Input route and it has worked great for the past year.

My receiver doesn't go on standby...so I just either leave it on, or turn it on/off as needed. I know this doesn't answer your question, so hopefully someone else will know.

Reactions: Teenwolf74
I end up just turning my receiver on, gasp, by hand...:eek:

It would be nice to be able to automate that somehow - but I am going the cheapo route already so I can't have everything. I can turn on my TV by google voice but the receiver still requires me to hit the power button - I toyed with using a Wi-Fi plug, but when my receiver has the power switched off via the Wi-Fi supply, or just unplugging it, it won't power back into the ON state when the power is turned back on...

I end up just turning my receiver on, gasp, by hand...:eek:

It would be nice to be able to automate that somehow - but I am going the cheapo route already so I can't have everything. I can turn on my TV by google voice but the receiver still requires me to hit the power button - I toyed with using a Wi-Fi plug, but when my receiver has the power switched off via the Wi-Fi supply, or just unplugging it, it won't power back into the ON state when the power is turned back on...
U can automate it with a itach. It converts ir signals to Wi-Fi and u can control it from a app. It’s a lot of programming but my whole house audio and video is controlled over itach’s and controlled by Centro control app.

limitless possibilities.
3B05BBD2-2EED-4CA9-8A16-FC0FE0342F83.png606E198E-921E-4C34-AA48-8E6687D9D8C5.png
Screen shot of one of my rooms. Controls macros for channels. Anything u can imagine. Switches between activities. Like a harmony remote. Each itach can control 6 pieces of equipment next to each other also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have one of these (the BT20a). Connects via bluetooth to whichever music source as well as has RCA inputs (some also have optical audio). Just leave it on and tell Alexa to connect to it and play music. Simple for $80.

We have one of these (the BT20a). Connects via bluetooth to whichever music source as well as has RCA inputs (some also have optical audio). Just leave it on and tell Alexa to connect to it and play music. Simple for $80.

What kind of bluetooth range do you get with that amp? Does it seem to have plenty of power?

My little class D amp does not turn on by a remote control - it only can be powered on by hitting the power button - so unless I rig up some mechanical switch activator then I am stuck using my finger...
Digital amp. I would just leave it on all the time. Doesn’t it have a remote relay so u can use a mini jack to remote trigger it on and off. That’s what I do with my theatre separates. The pre-pro turns the amps on and off. Bit if digital they r so efficient and don’t get hot I would leave it on.

I went the echo input route (they stopped making them as far as I can tell), and the monoprice amps I use go into standby mode when no sound is detected. Works great, and syncs up with all the other echos around my house if I want to really make the party rock inside and out.

I went the echo input route (they stopped making them as far as I can tell), and the monoprice amps I use go into standby mode when no sound is detected. Works great, and syncs up with all the other echos around my house if I want to really make the party rock inside and out.

That's awesome! I'm just waiting for the monoprice sycamore sets to come back in stock. We are in the process of pool building as we speak.

How do you protect outdoor stereo equipment?
as in the speakers? nothing if they are outdoor rated. mine will sit in the snow. the ones up in ceilings stay there and a few pair have been there for 12 years now. i don't even take in my access point that is ceiling mounted.

for other equipment like receivers and such i would just unplug them and take them in for the winter if you arte in new york unless the area was heated. i take in my automation hub for my pool house. and plug it in somewhere else for the winter so all my scenes still run.

jimi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.