Input needed: Grout color Blue Glass tile

PoolNewbie2022

Dec 5, 2021
San antonio
Hello, looking for some assistance with our grout color. We chose the Bahama blue blend from mineral tiles because we really like the different hues of blue and also the iridescent chip as well. Our PB recommended either white or platinum grout color(shown with black arrows) but we feel like it’s just because that’s what they have in stock and it’s easy.

I certainly do not have the designer Gene so looking for some thoughts from others. @kimkats I see you have great taste in guiding others, any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• 910E4EF0-21A8-42AB-A2C0-AC2D4F72797D.jpeg
    910E4EF0-21A8-42AB-A2C0-AC2D4F72797D.jpeg
    703.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 8A6D8116-AE98-44EC-A54C-920D3C914F45.jpeg
    8A6D8116-AE98-44EC-A54C-920D3C914F45.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
*usual vote for no wrong choices*

Everyone obsesses over these details as the rest of the project hinges on them and right now, It's glaringly obvious front and center.

Once the pool is finished and full, even the ****obnoxiously gorgeous tiles****will take a back seat to the patio furniture, landscaping and everything else.

Find a pretty house on the block and glance at your neighbors 'curb appeal'. Then focus on their flowers. Did you even see that they were pink ? Nope. But when they were planting them, they had similar agonizing choices. Pink, pink-y pink and pink-ish pink pink. And then some could be blue instead. Or blue-ish blue and pink accent flowers. ARRRRRGH !!!!!!

Rest assured it will be stunning and nobody else will see it. Heck, you yourself will be too busy picking up towels and handing out burgers while blowing the lifeguard whistle at kids getting too rowdy.

Reactions: PoolNewbie2022
Thanks Tom, that looks amazing. The tile shows itself off here, no distraction which is what I think the white or platinum tends to do.
That is exactly why we chose black, we did not want white or grey stripes to show between the tiles, especially with the deco tile placed every eighth tile. We wanted the deco tile to pop, the rest to be smooth, and look seemless.

*usual vote for no wrong choices*

Everyone obsesses over these details as the rest of the project hinges on them and right now, It's glaringly obvious front and center.

Once the pool is finished and full, even the ****obnoxiously gorgeous tiles****will take a back seat to the patio furniture, landscaping and everything else.

Find a pretty house on the block and glance at your neighbors 'curb appeal'. Then focus on their flowers. Did you even see that they were pink ? Nope. But when they were planting them, they had similar agonizing choices. Pink, pink-y pink and pink-ish pink pink. And then some could be blue instead. Or blue-ish blue and pink accent flowers. ARRRRRGH !!!!!!

Rest assured it will be stunning and nobody else will see it. Heck, you yourself will be too busy picking up towels and handing out burgers while blowing the lifeguard whistle at kids getting too rowdy.
So true, needed to see this! Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Tom, read some reviews about how hard it is to mix and use this product. Did your PB say anything about it?
I was out there with the tile guy. I asked him if difficult to use, he said no. I watched him mix it, apply it, float it, and then clean it off. It is water cleanup when still damp, but once it hardens it is there. There was a large glob that fell onto the shotcrete bench in the deep end, it took a chisel to get it off.

-Tom

Here I am! I meant to get with you on this but it slipped my mind after a VERY busy V-day celebration x2 LOL

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your tile choose! Hold on a sec while to drool over it again!

I say go with the darker grout as that makes the tiles blend better. The lighter grout does tend to make each tile stand out. With your tile the blended look will be better.

NOW also get some paint cards with different whites and grays to find the mortar youwant to use UNDER that pretty tile. Make sure to test it in your yard.

I’d go with a medium shade of grey or muted blue, something in between the lightest tile and the darkest tile in ur mosaic. Though I love the black in the one application I don’t think it will achieve the same look as yours. Their tile is one shade of midnight blue and very dark so the black blends. Your mosaic has shades that are pretty light and brighter blues. The black would actually draw alit of attention towards the light mosaic pieces and clash with the bright blue instead of blending. Good luck it’s a hard choice.

Last edited:
Here I am! I meant to get with you on this but it slipped my mind after a VERY busy V-day celebration x2 LOL

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your tile choose! Hold on a sec while to drool over it again!

I say go with the darker grout as that makes the tiles blend better. The lighter grout does tend to make each tile stand out. With your tile the blended look will be better.

NOW also get some paint cards with different whites and grays to find the mortar youwant to use UNDER that pretty tile. Make sure to test it in your yard.
Thank YOU!!!

I’d go with a medium shade of grey or muted blue, something in between the lightest tile and the darkest tile in ur mosaic. Though I love the black in the one application I don’t think it will achieve the same look as yours. Their tile is one shade of midnight blue and very dark so the black blends. Your mosaic has shades that are pretty light and brighter blues. The black would actually draw alit of attention towards the light mosaic pieces and clash with the bright blue instead of blending. Good luck it’s a hard choice.
I really appreciate you taking the time to post this, very helpful!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.