Inground pool open for 2 weeks. Random/intermittent water loss of 1-2inches in an hour

gdav

May 25, 2014
Boston, MA
Our inground pool has been open 2 weeks. Sand Hayward filter S210t. I have been running my filter 12-24 hours a day to try and get my pool from green to blue. I have had 5 separate occasions, that within 1 -2 hours, my water level drops 1-2 inches. What could this be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 14
Need more information. Do you have an automatic overflow? How old is the pool? Solar heater? Have you checked for water puddles around the pool (grassy areas)?

Welcome to posting on the forum!
Type of filter? Do you backwash? Type of valve on the filter?

My concern would be that the MPV spider gasket may be leaking (intermittently?) and you are losing water to backwash while in the filter setting.

When you find a sudden water loss, check the 'woods' and see if it appears water has recently exited that area. 2 inches is likely several hundred gallons of water.

Reactions: koffey
My concern would be that the MPV spider gasket may be leaking (intermittently?) and you are losing water to backwash while in the filter setting.

When you find a sudden water loss, check the 'woods' and see if it appears water has recently exited that area. 2 inches is likely several hundred gallons of water.
Ok this sounds like an easy part to change out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 6
Glad you found the leak! Spider gaskets are a huge pain, and mine never seems to seal perfectly (Hayward 48sqft DE filter). Recommend you put a ball valve on your waste line and leave it closed unless you're backwashing.
Thank you. I just got a plug (pool store recommended) and my husband is going to do it today. I will look up what a ball valve is and maybe do that. This forum is great! Thanks for all the help!! It saved me a lot of time and money trying to get a leak detection company to come out.

Reactions: bjohannes
This forum is great! Thanks for all the help!! It saved me a lot of time and money trying to get a leak detection company to come out.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.