Jun 26, 2020
Upstate, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone,

We have an inground pool and certain sections of the white edging (not sure if that the correct term) needs to have cracks repaired and fainted areas painted. I don't know what the best way to repair/fill in the cracks (or) what kind of paint I should be using. I found the site Poolweb Pool Supplies - Commercial Grade Pool Equipment, so maybe there's some materials I can order on there?

Here are some pics so maybe someone can't help point me in the right direction. Appreciate any advice that can be offered :) -Jeff

IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1259.jpg IMG_1260.jpg

That is your pool coping. What material is it? It does not look like cement or aluminum? Maybe fiberglass? Need to know what material to discuss any repairs or painting.

@jimmythegreek may have ideas.

Plastic is tough to paint. Fiberglass can be repaired. I think it will be tough to repair your coping and get it looking good.

How old is your liner? Best may be to wait until your liner needs replacement and then replace the coping with it.

I think there is not an easy way to repair that aluminum cap over the nose of the coping. The coping should be replaced when you replace the liner.

That looks like the old.composite stuff by the way its cracked. Bondo amd fiberglass mat behind it will help you build it up and make the front flush with some chopped strand in it. The only thing that sticks well to that stuff is epoxies like boating products, ie 2 part gel coat

Hey jimmythegreek, thanks for suggestions. I'm not too much of a handy guy, so let's me try to rephrase so maybe you can confirm if I understand correctly.

- User the fiberglass mat inside the crack to help contour the roundish shape of the coping
- Apply the Bondo over it.

* I lost you on the chopped strands. Do you mean chopped fiberglass strands? Also not sure where the 2 part gel coat fits in to this.

YouTube some fiberglass repair vids if you wanna see it done. You need to back the void so material doesnt just keep flowing into that void. Once that dries you build up the inside void with bondo and add strands for reinforcement, think rebar in concrete. When your done you dont want to loom at a blob of pink dusty bondo so you sand it all amd use gelcoat to get the color you want, probably white. Paint will fall off quickly with water. If you can find pool stair repair videos that's the same deal as this just different shape

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.