Infinity Edge Pool Surge Tank Level Controller(s)

LouL

Sep 4, 2018
Merritt Island
I need help understanding infinity/vanishing edge surge tank level controllers and welcome anyone's recommendation (brand/model) on which digital sensors/controller(s) to use.

We're upgrading our new pool design to an infinity edge design with a gutter type trough that gravity drains to a underground surge tank. My PB and I are using an engineering consultant to determine all the required trough, drain pipe, surge tank, and pumping sizes and flow rates.

Question 1: I'm shopping to find a dual sensor control system referred to by Scott Cohen in his 2011 Aqua Magazine article that "allows two set points, both low and high in the tank. A sensor at minimum operating level activates the autofiller (when evaporation lowers pool water); the other sensor at the maximum operating level turns on the edge circulation pump to (when surge tank levels get too high)."

My expectation is to run the edge only 'as needed' several times a day to refresh the tank water and to allow the autofill to adjust for evaporation. Otherwise, the edge would just be a 'wet edge' visually - there's no real vantage point on the waterfall side. As bathers get into the pool I assume the high set point sensor will turn on the edge circulation pump to balance the water in the pool. After bathers leave the pool, the high point sensor would stop the edge circulation.

Question 2: how does this system compensate for rainwater gain? The preliminary schematic from the engineers show a overflow tube at the top of the tank that takes overflow to our run-off area. If the high point sensor reads rainwater gain the same way it senses surge, won't it just turn on the pump during rainstorms and remain on until evaporation reduces water in the system? Perhaps there's a clever capacity calculation between the high set point on/off levels and the overflow inlet height!?!?

New to TFP.... but have gain much insight reading others' posts. Thanks for your help.

The purpose of the surge tank is to handle water volume fluctuations from situations that you mentioned above. A properly sized tank or basin should be able to accommodate the typical fluctuations from bathers and splashing without overflowing or starving the pump. There are several formulas to calculate the size of the tank based off the square footage of the surface area or the projected gallonage of the pool.

A properly designed system really only needs an autofiller on the tank/basin but dual body levelers do exist. One of which is the Levelor by Jandy that is capable of interfering with their automation to also control the edge pump (s). Pentair has newly released a similar product but I am embarrassed to say I don't know much about it even though I am a loyal pentair product fan...

I prefer mechanical autofillers and the Stetson is the best out there. I just don't like the idea of finicky electronics dictating the water level.

With the popularity of infinity/negative edges and recent trend for perimeter overflows, it's not uncommon to equip the pool with a very small edge pump that runs 24/7 to maintain that sharp look.

To sum all this up, a properly sized basin with an autofiller and an overflow should be trouble free. If you post your plan up there are a couple hydraulic engineers around here that can help you determine the adequate size of the basin or you can accept and uneducated guess from me based off my successes and failures....

Man running a small pump 24 hours per day would end up being very pricey.

Not at all if it's sized correctly and to be brutally honest the expense of zero edges and perimeter overflows during construction place these features into a category of clients that probably aren't concerned with their electric bills.

A variable speed pump can easily achieve the desired effect for slightly more power than what a single incondescent light bulb would draw.

Nothing says the pump needs to run continuously either but these types of pools lose that luxurious look when the water level drops...

A properly designed system really only needs an autofiller on the tank/basin but dual body levelers do exist. One of which is the Levelor by Jandy that is capable of interfering with their automation to also control the edge pump (s). Pentair has newly released a similar product but I am embarrassed to say I don't know much about it even though I am a loyal pentair product fan...

I prefer mechanical autofillers and the Stetson is the best out there. I just don't like the idea of finicky electronics dictating the water level.

With the popularity of infinity/negative edges and recent trend for perimeter overflows, it's not uncommon to equip the pool with a very small edge pump that runs 24/7 to maintain that sharp look.....

Thanks Brian, and all!

Hope you or someone else can remember the sensors/controller models that allow dual set points for the basin (or surge tank in my case) and control two separate functions. My intent - is not to keep the edge 'waterfall' running continuously. I envision just a wet-edge effect, and only run the edge pump automatically once a day (to circulate, filter, and sanitize the tank water) OR run on-demand when company visits.

We want an automated system to do two things: 1) autofill when surge tank capacity lowers to minimum operating depth (due to evaporation) and
2) when bathers enter the pool; water overflows the edge; and surge rises to the point where we need to turn on the edge pump to replenish water in the main pool.

Also, while doing this the automated system (and tank design) will still allow for excess water from rainfall to overflow at a pipe height in the tank to drain to our retention area (away from the pool base). Not sure how a sensor system in the surge tank would distinguish between bather surge and excess rainfall!?!? Can anyone explain how this works??? We really don't want excessive water to overflow our drain trough where it would undermine our pool's foundation.

I get the impression from reading the Jandy Levolor K2000 system that this might be the critical 'control system component I'm looking for.... https://www.jandy.com/en/products/water-leveling/k2000
Anyone familiar with this system in an infinity/vanishing edge set-up???

Re., loyal Pentair fan... we are too. Using a EasyTouch Pool/Spa system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Levelor will do the trick then.

I would consider using a variable speed pump for the edge pump so you can run at a very low speed for your wet wall affect and then Crank It Up When you want to see it ripping.

Of course a Jandy water leveler isn't going to communicate with Pentair automation. unless you go with a Jandy system I think all the water leveler can control is a single speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.