Inexpensive Suction Cleaners

ted928

Jun 26, 2021
NY
Hello. My vinyl lined inground pool is 20' x 40' with a ~9" deep end. I have a salt chlorine generator. I have been hand vacuuming it for ~15 years and I am considering buying an automatic cleaner. I see a lot of discussion on robots but not much on suction cleaners. I don't have a separate suction line so I must use the skimmer. My pump is single speed 1HP. I run the pump 12 hours/day. I keep the solar cover on most of the time as I live in upstate NY. Will the suction cleaner function under the solar cover? If so, could I just leave it in all season? I see cost ranges from $100 to $400. Do the cheap models work?
TIA

Welcome to TFP :)

A suction side cleaner will work ok under the cover... If you take your skimmer out you will always have stuff falling into the pool and the skimmer will not be working if the suction cleaner is attached to the skimmer.. I had a suction line and left my cleaner in the pool 9 months a year...

For about just a little more you can have a robot that will work WAY better and actually scrub your pool and clean it so you do not have to.. It costs 20 cents running 2 hours, way cheaper than running your pump longer to clean the pool.. You would not have to take your cover off 3 times a week to scrub the walls.. You can get a great price on a robot right now and Margaret has them in stock..

Reactions: AK-
I second the robot. My entry model was a little bit over $400, but I’m left with scrubbing only the later line and behind stairs.

Thanks for the responses. In the past, I only had to spot clean once I got it opened and cleaned. What I am discovering is that since the kids are gone, the pool no longer gets regular use so I am getting algae thus requiring a full vacuuming.
I'll start taking a hard look at the robots. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.