Indoor flooring that isn’t slippery: laminate, tile, other ideas?

sydner23

Silver Supporter
Aug 15, 2017
Mount Laurel/NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Any recommendations for flooring for inside family room and entryway leading to powder room that isn’t slippery for people/kids that are coming/running in from pool to bathroom?

We have old carpet that will be ripped out in family room and tile in entryway and powder room that is slippery so will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Jim

We were looking at travertine tile at Floor & Decor that might be good for something like that if you like the look. We found some that were actually pretty reasonably priced and were really nice, and then decided to go with a concrete overlay instead, lol.

I have tile and I have hardwood. It is all slippery with wet running feet! The first thing is to have an area where you can dry your feet. For kids the next step is education about running with wet feet. A firmly attached area rug will work as well.

The old fashioned small round or hex bathroom tile is less slippery since you have a lot of grout lines to catch your feet. Vinyl, wide plank hardwood, big tiles will all be a problem to some degree if they have a smooth finish.

Last edited:
I put in porcelain tile with a rugged texture in what is basically a pool house. Even when wet the tile has great traction. I added in a good quality fake grass rug at the main doors and that keeps leaf litter in the rest of the building to a minimum. Here's a detail shot of the tile after I chalked along the molding and one of the entry space with the rug.
IMG_0165.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 13
My old house we installed some textured Luxury vinyl tile/plank flooring and it had a good grip and handled moisture well. (In the case of that house, from a leaky ice maker not a pool, but water nonetheless).

Tiles are the most slippery surface you can find, especially if you accidentally spilled water or washed the floor. It can also be very dangerous. The best thing you can get is vinyl laminate flooring. It makes the floor covering look very lovely. Also, it is much safer than tiles. Also, now the laminate is made absolutely waterproof. This will save money in the event of any water leakage and will not change the laminate. I have laminate flooring all over the house. I recently did significant repairs. The children have already tested the laminate, and it stands up to everything. By the way, all the guests praised my choice, and that pleases me.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.