Indoor flooring that isn’t slippery: laminate, tile, other ideas?

sydner23

Aug 15, 2017
Mount Laurel/NJ
Any recommendations for flooring for inside family room and entryway leading to powder room that isn’t slippery for people/kids that are coming/running in from pool to bathroom?

We have old carpet that will be ripped out in family room and tile in entryway and powder room that is slippery so will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Jim

spd500

Jul 20, 2020
Houston, TX
We were looking at travertine tile at Floor & Decor that might be good for something like that if you like the look. We found some that were actually pretty reasonably priced and were really nice, and then decided to go with a concrete overlay instead, lol.

DorsalSpine

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
I have tile and I have hardwood. It is all slippery with wet running feet! The first thing is to have an area where you can dry your feet. For kids the next step is education about running with wet feet. A firmly attached area rug will work as well.

The old fashioned small round or hex bathroom tile is less slippery since you have a lot of grout lines to catch your feet. Vinyl, wide plank hardwood, big tiles will all be a problem to some degree if they have a smooth finish.

Last edited:

stega

Gold Supporter
Jan 1, 2020
San Jose , ca
I put in porcelain tile with a rugged texture in what is basically a pool house. Even when wet the tile has great traction. I added in a good quality fake grass rug at the main doors and that keeps leaf litter in the rest of the building to a minimum. Here's a detail shot of the tile after I chalked along the molding and one of the entry space with the rug.
IMG_0165.jpeg

Attachments

Chaballa

Sep 10, 2019
Plano Texas
My indoor flooring is great as the water disappears & it is never slick. It is porcelain tile with a high mica(I think that is what the tile showroom told me).

magiteck

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Neenah, Wisconsin
My old house we installed some textured Luxury vinyl tile/plank flooring and it had a good grip and handled moisture well. (In the case of that house, from a leaky ice maker not a pool, but water nonetheless).