In SLAM process

Tracey R

Jun 14, 2019
Boerne TX
I started SLAMming my pool this afternoon. Ph was 7.2 & cl was 0.
I’m checking the fc every 30 and it’s steadily gone up. It’s at 10.5 fc & 2 cc. I’ve brushed it 2xs since 1pm

Still continue using the 20fc goal on pool math and continue to add liquid chlorine?

I’m trying to verify I’m doing the right thing since this process (liquid chlorine) is new to me.

Tracy,

Welcome to TFP! Please post a complete set of test results and a photo or description of the pool. Is your CYA 50? If so your target is indeed 20 and you need to add more liquid bleach. Remember you need to maintain the target FC level during the slam. This is hardest when you first start. Are you running your pump 24/7 and what is your filter pressure doing?

Chris

Tracy,

Welcome to TFP! Please post a complete set of test results and a photo or description of the pool. Is your CYA 50? If so your target is indeed 20 and you need to add more liquid bleach. Remember you need to maintain the target FC level during the slam. This is hardest when you first start. Are you running your pump 24/7 and what is your filter pressure doing?

Chris
Yes, my pump runs 24/7. It’s a1.5 pump. I haven’t checked anything but the cc & fc since I began earlier today when I got the ph to 7.2. The slam video shows nothing will register correctly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you're off to a good start but just be a little more aggressive with the liquid bleach. You really haven't started 'till your FC level gets to the target. Sometimes it seems like you're adding absurd amounts of liquid chlorine, especially at the start. Once you get to the target and maintain for a day or so it gets much easier to keep it up. And every minute that it's not at target will increase the time it takes to complete. pH results are not accurate at FC above 10 but the rest of the tests do work. Frequent FC testing like you're doing will help a lot.

Hang in there, and good luck to you!

Chris

Looks like you're off to a good start but just be a little more aggressive with the liquid bleach. You really haven't started 'till your FC level gets to the target. Sometimes it seems like you're adding absurd amounts of liquid chlorine, especially at the start. Once you get to the target and maintain for a day or so it gets much easier to keep it up. And every minute that it's not at target will increase the time it takes to complete. pH results are not accurate at FC above 10 but the rest of the tests do work. Frequent FC testing like you're doing will help a lot.

Hang in there, and good luck to you!

Chris
To speed the process up to get to 20 FC, can I just dump in like 10 gallons of bleach? I imagine that will crank it up pretty well. So far it has had me doing 3 & 4 gallons each 30 minutes

You are on the right track but you are playing patty cake with the chlorine. The SLAM is named such because we want you to SLAM the chlorine into your pool. Don't overdose but calculate your dosage and bring it to 20. Test again in just a few hours and bring it back to 20 again. The time between doses will get less and less as the chlorine consumes organics in your pool.

Follow the SLAM article precisely. If you do, it will work.

Reactions: Tracey R
how many gallons have you had to add since starting at 1?
I’ve added probably 15. I haven't counted. Just added what pool math has told me.
This morning it says to add 4 gallons. I assume the program has small amounts added at a time to build up the chlorine?

It is a lighter green than it was yesterday so that is a positive.

Test results this morning as of 8:15am
FC 1 CC 1.5 Alk 230

Attachments

• 070719_815am.jpg
    070719_815am.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Wow
Reactions: Shirker
No need to test anything but FC during a slam, CC if you’re curious. Really don’t HAVE to test that until OCLT. Saves you on regents. You’re headed in the right direction. It’s going to take lots of chlorine to clear that pool. Any debris lurking at the bottom?

Take the floater out and steps if you’re able. Algae will hide there making this process longer.

No need to test anything but FC during a slam, CC if you’re curious. Really don’t HAVE to test that until OCLT. Saves you on regents. You’re headed in the right direction. It’s going to take lots of chlorine to clear that pool. Any debris lurking at the bottom?

Take the floater out and steps if you’re able. Algae will hide there making this process longer.
I'll do my best to get the stairs out. It's just me and my 9 & 4 y/o. Floaters ... I'll get those done.

What is OCLT?

There may be stuff at the bottom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.