In-pool Umbrella Base?

ltjr

May 27, 2021
Franklin TN
My vintage gunite pool needs shade in the shallow end. No shelf, just a 36" deep shallow end.

I do not want to install sleeves in the bottom, so I want to use "portable" plastic bases filled with ballast (probably pea gravel).

Any suggestions for umbrella bases bigger (and heavier) than the normal big-box store items?

I know that umbrella poles need to be stainless, aluminum or fiberglass and will probably need to be extended to get the umbrella to a normal height above the water line.

Umbrella bases are typically designed to be smaller, not larger, which is what would work for you especially in 3 feet of water. Have you considered a cantilevered umbrella like the below sitting on the deck? Also look into shade sails. They are my favorite.

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have a cantilevered umbrella on the deck, but I do not want the base at the edge of the coping.

I had not considered shade sails but I will research. One issue is no handy structures for support, so I would either need to add support poles with guy wires or install big poles that could support the load without guys. More research.

I think I like the visual of the umbrellas "floating" in the shallow end, so I will continue the search for big bases
-lt

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have a cantilevered umbrella on the deck, but I do not want the base at the edge of the coping.

I had not considered shade sails but I will research. One issue is no handy structures for support, so I would either need to add support poles with guy wires or install big poles that could support the load without guys. More research.

I think I like the visual of the umbrellas "floating" in the shallow end, so I will continue the search for big bases
What did you end up doing? I’m having the same debate!! Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.