In-Ground Vinyl over Steel - New Construction in Canada

pigottj

Jan 17, 2022
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, but likely not my last over these next 6 months. I just paid the deposit on a 16x32' Equator/Latham steel wall in-ground pool kit to be delivered in April 2022. Planning on doing the installation and landscaping myself this spring/summer. Very excited and just a bit nervous. I'm a project manager and like to have everything planned out well in advance and leave very little room for error and uncertainty. I've got some questions below, regarding the final depth and the best way to resolve an issue with mounting the acrylic step on the long side of the pool. See my attached diagrams for visual reference.

My wife and I gave a lot of consideration to our desired pool depth - in the end we decided that we would had very little desire for a deep-end and that we would prefer a single depth "sports" pool. This would allow the maximum amount of space for play and lounging for adults and our teenage children. We decided to go slightly deeper than standard depth though, with 48" of water total.

Given the layout of our yard and house, we decided to mount the acrylic/fiberglass steps on the long side of the pool. Given that we don't have a shallow end, it creates a bit of an issue... these steps are designed to be installed in a shallow end (42" high wall panel with 36" of water)... with the last step being a drop of about 12-14" to the bottom of the pool. Installing it on the side of the pool, with a water depth of 48" will cause the last step to be closer to a 2ft drop! Which isn't ideal. (See attached drawing)

One solution suggested to us was to build a raised concrete step in the pool floor in the area of the pool step and cover with the vinyl liner. I see it being difficult to get the liner tight around this area.
My wife and I discussed it and thought that a good option might be a "raised ledge" along the entire long side of the pool... effectively giving us a very narrow "shallow side" rather than a shallow end. The shallow side of the pool would lay along the side of the pool where our loungers and the majority of our decking would be. This would allow our shorter pool guests a spot to stand where the water is bit below chest level and they can easily lean on the pool edge.

The pool salesman commented that he'd never done this before and that it might "break up" the pool.... very interested to hear everyone's thoughts and/or alternate suggestions on this!
Do you foresee any issues? Do you think 18" is wide enough? Do you think this will make the pool feel awkward?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

PigottJ_LedgeLayout.jpgPigottPool_ShortSideView.JPG

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Looks to be a nice pool. I think the sport version will workout very well. Be sure to post all the proposed equipment and type of chlorination once you receive the quote and we'll be happy to look everything over with you.

Reactions: pigottj
One solution suggested to us was to build a raised concrete step in the pool floor in the area of the pool step and cover with the vinyl liner. I see it being difficult to get the liner tight around this area.
A possible alternative to that is to put some stacked "pavers" inside the pool, on top of the liner, below the ladder. I'm referring to premade cement/concrete flat solid blocks. If you were concerned about the 'feel' of the concrete texture, adding some epoxy resin on top of the blocks should fix that. The bigger the blocks are the less likely to move around, and you could conceivably cement/epoxy blocks together. Check around to see whats available in your area.

Reactions: pigottj
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.