In-ground Off-season Pool cover to transform pool into usable space

Jul 17, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Has anyone explored options of a pool cover that can transform your in-ground pool into usable space? From Nebraska, I just winterized the pool again after 5mos and now all I see is wasted space. I've found rental options on the internet (to the tune of $8k/weekend). I just want to have a dance party on the patio!
safety-pool-cover-rent-a-platform-hard-pool-cover-for-your-wedding-or-special-occasion-and-create-a-dance-floor-over-your-swimming-pool-hydramatic-automatic-safety-pool-cover-cost.jpg

It would take something fairly substancial to hold up the weight of people walking on it. You have a 16 foot span to cross. You might be able to get a carpenter to make a cover that would go on in sections. However it would be heavy. Something made of aluminum would be more usable. Anything that you get to cover a 16x32 pool that will bear the weight of people walking on top will be expensive, robust, and difficult to store.

.....don't forget to factor in risk factors and liability insurance for that dance party. Sorry, hate to be a Debbie Downer but....

(and no way in georgia would I be spending $8,000 for a weekend cover just to dance... omg.)

It would take something fairly substancial to hold up the weight of people walking on it. You have a 16 foot span to cross. You might be able to get a carpenter to make a cover that would go on in sections. However it would be heavy. Something made of aluminum would be more usable. Anything that you get to cover a 16x32 pool that will bear the weight of people walking on top will be expensive, robust, and difficult to store.
Agree. A modular, lightweight system would be the only way to go. I'm just surprised there's been no innovation around the concept!

Reactions: ivparker
I don't know anything about swimming pools, but would it be an option to drain the pool at the end of each summer and use it as a sunken garden area in cooler weather? Surround the pool with a permanent strong, decorative barrier as a safety measure to stop people from falling into the pool and create a wide series of steps to enter the pool if you don't already have some. (if the steps don't span the breadth of the pool, then add handrails at each side for safety).
You could cover the pool base with rubber or artifical grass to protect it, add seating; flashy pot plants, decorative lights, grill or gas heater, etc. To save water, you could pump the water out and store in a tank somewhere unseen so it isn't wasted, or offer it free to a local business.

Once you're ready to use the pool again, roll up the artifical grass or other covering to store elsewhere, then refill the pool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.