mikewatson

Mar 27, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Alright guys, how in the world can I get these things to screw back in? I’ve tried soaking them with PB blaster and it worked on a few of them. Still have about 10 of them that won’t budge. 382D6107-295F-412D-B270-B1149FEBB294.jpeg

Attachments

• DA471B61-6475-44AC-86BB-ED3B66268AF6.jpeg
    DA471B61-6475-44AC-86BB-ED3B66268AF6.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 3
Screw them all the way out, take a wire brush, clean the threads on the bolts and the holes with solvent, replace any that are stripped, grease them thoroughly and then they will go down and not stick.
Haven't had a problem since I made this part of my opening routine. A tub of general-purpose or white lithium grease works great.

I had some stuck and stripped ones before I learned to do this, and I used PB Blaster and clamping on vice grips and banging them around with a hammer to get them out. You could also try applying some heat with a blowtorch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewatson
Just know that any grease you apply will only attract dirt and crud which makes removal more difficult down the road, imo don’t do it. Get a watering can and continually try to flush out whatever has them locked up, don’t fret, they will come out.

Just know that any grease you apply will only attract dirt and crud which makes removal more difficult down the road, imo don’t do it. Get a watering can and continually try to flush out whatever has them locked up, don’t fret, they will come out.
I respectfully disagree. Just saying what has worked flawlessly for me. How can it attract crud when they are screwed all the way down? If they attract crud during the winter, who cares if you are going to remove, clean and regrease, and lower next time you open? YMMV.

Last edited:
I have worked on hundreds of pools with safety covers, not a one off.

Those brass anchors are designed properly, large threads reduce incidents of locking. Any and I do mean any lube you use is counter productive to their lack of binding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.