KSlice123

May 10, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my pool company came out to open my pool a few weeks ago, and the cover wouldn't open. Turn the switch, nothing happens, no sound. They said the controller and/or the switch must've gone bad and replaced both of them. No dice. So then they say that the motor must've gone bad, too. As we're waiting for the replacement motor to arrive, in the middle of the night, the cover actually opened itself about 10 feet, stopped, and now it's stuck open. Yesterday, the guys came and replaced the motor. Still no dice, it's still stuck 10 feet open. I heard the guys on the Ring video say that "the old motor probably wasn't even bad." I get an email from the manager saying that the controller they previously installed must've been bad, but that they "couldn't tell it was bad until the motor was replaced." That seems fishy to me. Now they're going to get the controller replaced again, but under warranty.

Am I crazy for thinking they're just blindly replacing things without actually diagnosing anything? Should I really have to pay for a new motor if it was actually the controller that was bad? I hate to burn a bridge with the local pool place that's 10 minutes away, super responsive and helpful, but I'm feeling a little upset here. Can someone walk me off the ledge?

Last edited:
No.

That is what they are doing.

What system do you have?

Does it have position sensors?
I'm not sure what the system is. I *think* it was installed by APC, Inc. if that's helpful. I can check later this evening when I'm home from work.

I believe it does have position sensors. One of those malfunctioned last year and the cover got ripped when it opened too far. (My wife's old man was turning the key and now won't touch anything with the pool. I swear I didn't yell at him!) So that had to be fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.