In floor system and surface return?

Dec 16, 2018
Surprise
My 88 ft pool with an average or 4' depth has 15 in floor pop ups and 2 x 2' sheer decents. These are the only water returns in the pool...no traditional surface returns.

Is this going to be good enough for circulation? Thanks in advance

Marc.

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your "Surprise" pool questions... :shark:

I am not a fan of in-floor returns, but I suspect they work fine for circulation of the water..

What I would worry about is how well the skimmers would work.. As a general rule, wall mounted returns are directed to force the pool water to slowly rotate, pushing any floating debris toward the skimmers.

Why do you ask? Are you having a specific problem?

Is this a new pool still being built, or do you plan some type of retrofit?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

It is my new pool being built. I was under the impression that the standard pool had 3 returns...I upgraded to the in floor system. Then I noticed as the process went on that the in floor and water feature will move more than enough water and returns are not needed....I'm not very happy with this because I dont know anyone without returns regardless of the cleaning system...and for that reason you mentioned I worry about the surface water and skimmer functionality.

I do have a suction line as well mid pool about half way down.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc.

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your "Surprise" pool questions... :shark:

I am not a fan of in-floor returns, but I suspect they work fine for circulation of the water..

What I would worry about is how well the skimmers would work.. As a general rule, wall mounted returns are directed to force the pool water to slowly rotate, pushing any floating debris toward the skimmers.

Why do you ask? Are you having a specific problem?

Is this a new pool still being built, or do you plan some type of retrofit?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I feel that I was left out of the design process and until I noticed the lack of plumbing it wasnt mentioned at all.

Marc,

Is the in-floor system a cleaning system, which is also used as a return, or is it just an in-floor return system?

How far along are you with building? Have they already blown in the gunite?

I assume your pool builder has built other pools the same way.. at a minimum, I would want to talk with those pool owners and see if they have any issues with skimming.

What did your pool builder say, when you asked him about the missing returns?

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I am in a pool I tend to look at it's construction. I was at the Waldorf Astoria in Berlin and they had the most beautiful pool I have ever been in at their indoor spa on the 5th floor. The pool had just been redone and it was the first day it was open. One of the things I noted was it had all of it's returns in the floor. And it did not have skimmers but the entire pool had an overflow edge that water cascaded over. On the pool walls was just LED pool lights and speakers.

I don't know if this is what is being discussed. No doubt the construction for this type of pool is significantly more than our typical gunite/plaster pools.

IMG_0053 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0061 (Medium).jpg

Allen,

A couple of years ago I stayed in an old hotel on the Rhine River.. It had an indoor pool that was built the same way... an infinity edge around the whole pool.. No skimmer or rather one very large skimmer.. :rolleyes: And, if I remember correctly, it too was all tile.

Maybe it is a European thing..

Jim R.

Allen,

A couple of years ago I stayed in an old hotel on the Rhine River.. It had an indoor pool that was built the same way... an infinity edge around the whole pool.. No skimmer or rather one very large skimmer.. :rolleyes: And, if I remember correctly, it too was all tile.

Maybe it is a European thing..

Jim R.

Nope - good ole USA thing , originally conceived by an American architect.

Lautner Edge aka knife edge aka perimeter overflow aka zero edge.

I would want wall returns, but the floor returns should be fine.

I would definitely want a variable speed pump.

It's too late but, in floor cleaner returns tend to require too much power.

Wall returns and a robot are much more efficient.

At least with a variable speed pump, you can run on lower speed.

Most builders aren't going to pay for the electricity to run the pump. So, they tend to be unconcerned about the cost of operating the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've heard floor returns can't run clorine, so no swg, liquid clorine injection, or solid chlorinator because the Hugh FC content return stream bleaches the floor next to the floor returns.

Interesting. I'm wondering where you heard this? We have SWG + floor system pop-ups. New, colored plaster installed during reno 18 months ago. There is no localized bleaching or discoloration visible at this point in time at any of the 29 pop-ups.

Interesting. I'm wondering where you heard this? We have SWG + floor system pop-ups. New, colored plaster installed during reno 18 months ago. There is no localized bleaching or discoloration visible at this point in time at any of the 29 pop-ups.

I have at least 100 infloor pools with salt systems, erosion feeders or liquid chlorine rollers.
All have high end texture and color finishes.
Zero signs of chlorine damage to finishes.
A few are even liner pools, again zero chorine burn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.