In Dire Straits with These Stains - HELP

Robina

Jun 19, 2010
Rocky Mount, NC
Hi folks I'm new to the forum and am having just major problems with staining in my Splash Superpool (vinyl) - it's 8,000 gal. 13 x 21 ft. purchased in May 2001. It started as a very small area of dark dark blotches and streaks, season before last, the folks I purchased the pool from came out and put in 4-5 lbs shock, seemed to clear it up temporarily, but last year is was worse and this year it is horrid, I'm just sick! It is getting all over the walls and in the floor too. I have spent a fortune trying everything under the sun for metals, scaling, algae and metal trap filter for refill water. Finally got another company to come out and take a look at it Friday. They said it was blue-green, black algae and said Polyquat 60 WOULD get it. So yesterday morning I picked up the Polyquat 60, put in the recommended dosage after lunch and waited for my miracle, so far this morning (8 am) - NOTHING - I just want to cry. You can scrape this stuff off with your fingernail, but it will come back in a few days. Has anyone heard of 'clorine stains' - is there such a thing? I'm open for suggestions and desperately need help - It was such a beautiful - easy to care for pool for years. Thanks everybody.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: It's a guess without test results, but almost surely you are not holding enough chlorine in your pool.

Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

One of the principles we teach here is there are no "magic bullets" that will clear your pool. We can, with good testing and good understanding of what chlorine does for your pool, get your pool back to crystal clear. It will not happen overnight but it can be done and it can be done by getting your chemistry at the grocery store instead of the pool store.

You have to make the comittment to learn and the commitment to understanding how important it will be to test your water.

So, the next step you can do is to post up a good set of current test results and we'll get you started. Plan on buying a lot of Clorox and perhaps a few other things...it won't be much. Also plan on the possibility of draining some, but not all of your pool water.

Thanks duraleigh, the guy Friday said all the stats were great, unfortunately he didn't write them down for me, and he was so quick I didn't stop long enough to get the paper and pen. That's been pretty much the routine though for the water to be crystal and the readings great. I do know that part of last year and all this year it's been hard to keep the chlorine level up. I will get the readings again and post and do some reading in the Pool School and maybe things will turn around.

Nice to be here with you guys........

Welcome and hello.

A good test kit is a necessary thing. Without it, you're just guessing at things really. Consider looking at the Test Kit Comparison page for more information on what is out there.

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to begin reading Pool School. There is a button on the top right-hand side of every page that will take you there.

Sounds good. If you are going to buy a test kit from a storefront, just make sure that it can test for FC, CC, CYA, pH, and TA. The best chlorine test is the FAS-DPD version and not the regular DPD.

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to order a test kit. Can't believe it - no-one around here has a test kit under $100 bucks and that's considered a cheapie, and the only ones under that only check for PH and Alk.

I'll be back guys.....when I have something to go on.

Robina

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CYA/stabilizer level is way too high. You should replace water to bring CYA down to around 50 or 60.

Your TA/Alk is also way too high. Bring your PH down to around 7.2 and keep lowering it back to 7.2 until your TA level comes down.

Are the stains rough/textured or are they smooth?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.