Importance of turning SWG off with minor salt additions

Fuldo

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2017
Port Orange, FL
I know that SWGs should be turned off when adding salt, especially large quantities of salt. The pump should also be run 24 hours straight. Is there a major risk to adding up to 40# to 13K gallons in a plastered pool, leaving the SWG system on and perhaps leaving the pump schedule run as usual? Salt would be brushed-into the shallow end.

Sometimes while I'm away from home for an extended period the pool gets diluted to near the minimum salt level and having someone make multiple trips to the house just to add some salt is an imposition I'd rather avoid if possible.

I never turn off the SWG when adding salt but I do add it in a spot where it doesn't cause an issue (SPA). The shallow end is another good area. Someplace several feet from drains and skimmers should be fine.

Thanks for the comments, I'll feel more confident now in leaving the SWG on for minor salt additions. I've done it a couple of times with my daughter's larger vinyl pool without any problems. What about pump run time after adding/brushing salt in a plastered pool. Is there much risk of salt damage to the plaster if the pump is only run for say 6 hours after adding/brushing?

Thanks for the comments, I'll feel more confident now in leaving the SWG on for minor salt additions. I've done it a couple of times with my daughter's larger vinyl pool without any problems. What about pump run time after adding/brushing salt in a plastered pool. Is there much risk of salt damage to the plaster if the pump is only run for say 6 hours after adding/brushing?

Depends on the consistency of the salt you added. Some salt is much coarser and will take longer to dissolve. Hard to say. Recommendation is to run pump for 24 hours after salt is added.

I've been using Morton Professional's Choice salt. It is very pure, fine and quick dissolving. Except for a few clumps it totally disappears with a quick brushing, especially in warm water such as now. However, I'm sure the salt concentration is still high for some time near the bottom after the crystals disappear so I'll be cautious with my plastered pool. Maybe not so much with my daughter's pool with liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.