Impeller replacement issue

Achilles

Jul 29, 2011
Northern MN
Hi all. I’m replacing the impeller on my Waterway 1.5 hp pump. Two questions:
1. The shaft was fairly rusted where the impeller attaches. I sanded most of it off but not sure if I got enough of it off. How can I tell if the impeller is seated far enough? It is plenty tight.
2. I cannot get the face plate on over the end of the impeller. It appears slight larger than the hole in the plate. Also, is it possible there wasn’t a wear ring? Ive taken the face plate off numerous times to clean out the impeller and never recall having a wear ring. Is it possible that it melted and fused to the face plate, or do some pumps not have them? If it did melt, it is really smooth and seems like one piece.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics. The gray impeller is the old one. The sleeve cracked from water intrusion/rust expansion of the shaft. Also note that the end of the impeller that goes into the faceplate did disintegrate a little over the years. The part number on the impeller are the same on the new black one though it has been redesigned some. Thanks for any advice!

IMG_9456.jpegIMG_9457.jpegIMG_9459.jpegIMG_9464.jpegIMG_9466.jpeg

Here are some pics. The gray impeller is the old one. The sleeve cracked from water intrusion/rust expansion of the shaft. Also note that the end of the impeller that goes into the faceplate did disintegrate a little over the years. The part number on the impeller are the same on the new black one though it has been redesigned some. Thanks for any advice!

View attachment 517683View attachment 517684View attachment 517685View attachment 517687View attachment 517688
The old impeller damaged the front of the pump housing. There are pieces of the old impeller fused in that opening. They might be able to be removed with a sharp, stiff knife.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.