Immersed hardwood causes algae problems ???

Aug 31, 2016
Nicosia
I just finished another summer season during which I had to work very hard to keep my pool clean with the algae at check.

Despite keeping proper FC and Ph levels I needed to slam the pool too often (every couple of weeks if not more often) and to scrub almost weekly to keep the pool algae free.

If you take at face value my comment around proper maintenance, could the cause of my trouble be the fact that the Iroko hard wood that goes around my pool is also used as skirting which is submerged into the water?? (by around 1 inch).

My theory is that once the wood is infected by algae shocking with chlorine and scrubbing are not enough to completely eliminate algae, which is the reason why algae appears first on the hard wood and if left alone start to appear on the pool walls.

Any thoughts?

Any effective solutions other than removing the hard wood skirting?

So you are saying you have wood that stays in the water? I would like to see a picture of it.

With wood be porous I bet that could be your problem. Seeing it would help us know for sure.

If you would also post your last set to test results that would be helpful. I see you use the Taylor 2006 kit so we know they should be good results.

Kim:kim:

Need to see a picture of the pool.

If the wood is not properly sealed both on the surface that is in contact with the water and sealed between the plaster wall and the wood (again, a picture would help), then it is entirely possible that there are pockets of water sitting behind the wood where algae can take up residence and hide from the chlorine.

Can you provide some construction details on how the wood is used as a "skirt" around the perimeter?

How confident are you that the wood makes a tight seal to the plaster? Was the wood applied after the plaster was put in?

My guess is if you rip off that wood skirt you’ll find plenty of “yuck” behind it. Most pools are tiled at the water line with a special waterproof barrier between the gunite shell and the tile. Then, after the time is placed, plaster is applied.

I am with Matt on this.........carefully take a piece of the skirting off..............bet there is some major yuck back there as well as seeped into the wood.

Is that real wood? Was it sealed before it was put on?

Oh and I would have a tile I liked picked out to replace it.

Thanks both for the feedback!

The pool was build as follows: Plaster was finished to the top edge of the pool and then the hard wood was screwed onto the surface. The wood was not fully sealed (teak oil was applied but that staff goes away pretty quickly) and as far as I remember no seal was created between the wood and plaster. Real wood was used.

I like how the skirting matches the decking around the pool and I don't want to use a third material if possible.

I will talk to my local contractors (decking/pool) but based on your experience do you think it would be possible to solve this by:

- Removing the wood and cleaning the plaster behind it (slam the pool to get rid of algae)
- Getting rid of the algae on the hard wood (maybe immerse completely in the shocked pool), then sand and refinish with a proper sealant
- Replace the wood and seal to the wall
- Maintain regularly (i.e. reseal wood and check wood to plaster seal say once a year).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You try it if you really want to but I don't think it will last or work long term. I think you have been lucky it has lasted as long as it had.

They have tile that looks like wood now. I wonder if you could find some that matches the color of the wood?

Kim:kim:

I would be reluctant to seal the wood to the plaster. This is wood we are talking about, submerged in water no less. Eventually it will need to be treated/repaired/replaced. Sealing it tight to the plaster is going to make repairs even harder. For long term I also suggest finding a ceramic tile. For short term, stay on top of keeping that wood algae free, and sealed/treated to reduce water damage.

Greetings to all and many thanks for all the feedback

I had a chat with the contractor who installed my deck during which I shared my thinking on how to seal the skirting.
He was not positive and explained that any stain/sealant/epoxy would only last a few months.

I do appreciate that ceramic tiles would solve the problem but I am worried that due to the feel and texture of tiles it would be very hard to achieve a consistent feeling with the deck surrounding my pool.

Instead I am considering composite decking made of HDPE/LDPE or PVC. My understanding is that such decking is not porous.
If I manage to find a shade that resembles my Iroko wood it should be the closest possible match.

What still remains a concern is whether I need to/ and how to create a seal between the composite deck and the surface of the pool plaster. Also I need to make sure that if the composite deck has any wholes in its profile that these are sealed before installing.

images

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.