Imagine Illusion 40 Complete 10/19/21

You have big dogs, right ? Their nails like to puncture the liner steps as they don't get out gently while they flail for traction. There's only so much you can file them down. But if the dog (s) aren't interested in swimming, then its a non issue.

Reactions: borjis
You have big dogs, right ? Their nails like to puncture the liner steps as they don't get out gently while they flail for traction. There's only so much you can file them down. But if the dog (s) aren't interested in swimming, then its a non issue.
That would be a deal breaker right there for me because I have 3 big dogs and a small one and 3 out of the 4 love water. But on the other hand... they wouldn't have access to the pool unless my husband took them down which has a high probability rate of 100% even if I told him no dogs allowed due to the steps. .

We begrudgingly went with the acrylic steps because of a big dog. Loved the look of the covered steps, but those first 2 or 3 steps would take a beating. We knew he wouldn't go gentle no matter how nicely we asked. The acrylic steps did turn out alot better than the 80s versions we were imagining. They have bench like cutouts in the corners now and it was a great place to sit.

I would prefer the actual steps not be lined. Dogs being a main factor. My username came from a dog I had when I first got into the above ground pools and she absolutely loved the water. I would hate to limit the dogs exposure to a good time over vinyl lined steps. I want them all to enjoy it if they so choose. Especially this crazy german shepard I have because that nut needs to burn off some energy and if I can get him in the pool, it would be ideal! :mrgreen:

Reactions: cowboycasey
I want the dogs to enjoy the pool. I have a german shepard who needs to tire his hyper active self out and the pool would be a great place for him.

We didn’t know it was an option at the build. I wanted them everyday thereafter because it was a dead area / floaty thing collection point. But I’ve also heard that the returns there don’t work so perfect, so I’m still undecided if I’ll risk the holes next time.

being so close to the regular returns (shooting lengthwise from shallow to deep they would alter the close regular return)

Reactions: Casey
The second pool company I called on a whim today said they can't get the fiberglass steps at this time and that's why they suggested the lined steps. I hope the guy that's coming out on Tuesday can get the fiberglass steps with the sit ins because that is what I want.

Another question. Has anyone been requested to show proof of survey of land before? I have it because I paid for it as soon as we moved in. Just curious. The property was staked in Aug 2020.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got 2 quotes without meeting. One with a phonecall and follow up emails and one that was email only. I imagine if they are swamped with work they may try and rule out anybody that can't get/fit the pool where they want it. Even if they have the space they may not have the 15ft (?) Variance clearances around it.

Auto cover or not? The guy said I could use it as a winter cover too.

I had a scheduled appointment this afternoon that canceled so I will have to work with a closer company but they have 43 years in the business. They have a few openings left for fall and I really want on.

ETA that the dogs would not be allowed into the pool because they only do vinyl lined steps.

Last edited:
See if they can get one of the Saratoga 8 foot granite grey steps, its your pool and tell them you have dogs.... If they still insist on vinyl lined get it in writing every time it needs patched they will come and patch it for free the next 10 years.. That will get there attention :)

On the autocover, here is thread that discussed using autocovers as winter covers. There are some things to be aware of if you choose this approach. But many successfully do use them as such. I choose not to and use a dedicated spring Merlin winter cover. In my build thread (early pages I'm sure) I shared a conversation that Coverstar East Coast (our installers) shared about autocover winter usage.

Coverstar Autocover - winter cover?

This is the search I used to find that thread which I had remembered posting to.

Google search results

Many people have shared having vinyl lined steps and dogs without issue. But each dog is their own beast as we know. Some might be just fine by themselves, but when in the company of other dogs, get quite playful. Or with kids around. Our dogs have left some scratches on our plaster steps (though that could have been the early days of them learning) - and honestly its party why we went with gunite (my mind thinks of the worst case scenarios). Mind you, we aren't as good about trimming nails as we should be. So keeping them out is surely safest, though some can and do have success.

Good luck with this PB!

That auto cover is $20k! I think I'm going to pass for a Loop lock cover for winterizing.

Have a choice of the DE EC75 or a cart CV340. Jandy 1.65 VS pump
JXI 260 gas heater
Fushion Soft 1460 SWG
4×8 poured concrete pad
2" lines if I go with cart
1.5" lines if I go with DE
28g liner
Corner step with a bench

The price is a bit amazing to even post right now as I'm still digesting it.

Reactions: bmoreswim
The Fusion Soft SWG is both a SWG and a mineral system. If going Jandy, get the AquaPure PLC1400 and related system controller. Or many also go with a 3rd party system called Circupool. But often better to stick with one manufacturer. But again, you don't want the mineral system they are quoting.

For filter, if going with cartridge, I would get the CV460 for a large pool like you are looking at. It will practically ensure you go the whole season without cleaning the cartridges. I have to clean mine once mid-season and it's about 325 SF for 27500 gallons. The 460 is 460 SF of filtering material. I'm not up to speed on the DE sizes.

I just called him back n asked him if that was a mineral pack on the SWG n he said yes. I told him I do not want it. I want the Aqua Pure PLC1400 and upgraded to the CV460. Told him as soon as he gets that to his Boss's desk n a stamp of approval... get back to me. :mrgreen:

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
Casey your general area was clear of woods, right? If I remember from the pics right it was mostly wide open by you ? That will help greatly with either filter if you have to go ‘properly sized’ and not oversized. Farm dust and pollen will always blow a long ways on the windy days, but at least if you don’t have neighbors with big trees, you have that going for you.

It's a pretty open space but I have neighbors around me.

Attachments

• 20210301_165322.jpg
    20210301_165322.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210301_165350.jpg
    20210301_165350.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210301_165408.jpg
    20210301_165408.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210301_165419.jpg
    20210301_165419.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210301_165445.jpg
    20210301_165445.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210301_165447.jpg
    20210301_165447.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210301_165504.jpg
    20210301_165504.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Newdude
I just measured it out n it always looks so small. The bricks represent "roughly" the inside corners of the pool excluding concrete decking. I definitely have the room. It honestly looks so small.

Attachments

• 20210309_130523.jpg
    20210309_130523.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210309_130547.jpg
    20210309_130547.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210309_130609.jpg
    20210309_130609.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210309_130738.jpg
    20210309_130738.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 64

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.