Hoover, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
For the third consecutive year, I find myself having to replace my filter pressure gauge. I’ve tried both OEM and replacement brands. Based on the review section of virtually every product I’ve looked at online, I’m not the only one. So...is there anything I can do to mitigate this, or is there a phenomenal gauge on the market anyone can recommend, or do I just need to accept that gauges are essentially consumables and that this will be a perennial but minor annoyance?

Many have had success with the (oil filled ?) gauge that tftestkits sells. It doesn’t qualify for free shipping by itself but we all always need supplies so it’s up to you if you want extras too.

Reactions: PointeTaken
Many have had success with the (oil filled ?) gauge that tftestkits sells. It doesn’t qualify for free shipping by itself but we all always need supplies so it’s up to you if you want extras too.
Looks like it's glycerin, which makes sense. I remember seeing mention of a glycerin-filled gauge a couple years ago but couldn't remember where it was purchased. I'm going to buy it. Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
7 yrs ago, I install the gauge that TF Testkits sells. Its the bomb. Its made of metal that does not rust and filled with Glycerine. The thing is a beast. Here in Texas we had a bad week or 2 of weather with temps where I live getting down to around 0° F. That gauge just laughed at it. I would consider this gauge in the "cannot do without" category. Worth Every Single Penny.

7 yrs ago, I install the gauge that TF Testkits sells. Its the bomb. Its made of metal that does not rust and filled with Glycerine. The thing is a beast. Here in Texas we had a bad week or 2 of weather with temps where I live getting down to around 0° F. That gauge just laughed at it. I would consider this gauge in the "cannot do without" category. Worth Every Single Penny.

Yeah in any given year we have 10-20 nights below freezing and anywhere from 2-6 nights below 20. Though I run the pump only for an hour or two during the winter, it is always running during freezing temps due to the automated freeze protection. I suspect that freezing temps have something to do with the fact that sometime around February or March every year, the gauge zeros out somewhere close to the filter's normal operating PSI and then eventually becomes completely inconsistent. I'm going to buy the one from TFKits. It sounds like a winner.

Reactions: Divin Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree w/ the one @ tftestkits.net. Its the same price as the crappy ones at the big box stores but you can actually read it & it feels substantial. My original gauge kicked the bucket over the winter & i replaced it with one from lowes at opening before ordering the tf one. It feels like a toy compared to the glycerin filled one.

For the third consecutive year, I find myself having to replace my filter pressure gauge. I’ve tried both OEM and replacement brands. Based on the review section of virtually every product I’ve looked at online, I’m not the only one. So...is there anything I can do to mitigate this, or is there a phenomenal gauge on the market anyone can recommend, or do I just need to accept that gauges are essentially consumables and that this will be a perennial but minor annoyance?
same. I just purchased a glycerin one from amazon. Hope it works better. Usually I buy it pre-taped. Should I use the white teflon tape or blue if I'm taping it myself? Is there a certain width I should use? I'm beyond annoyed with these gauges. Thanks.

Should I use the white teflon tape or blue if I'm taping it myself?
I used normal (single density) Teflon tape, which is usually white or gray. The blue stuff is - I’m pretty sure - also single density, it’s just a trademark of a certain brand. No reason to go any higher in density, IMO.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Bring it inside when you close the pool. I use the tft ones with glycerin but they still go bad if I leave them installed through the winter. I took it inside this year and it's working great this spring.

Not sure if you all close pools in the winter down there in 'bama

Not sure if you all close pools in the winter down there in 'bama
Not usually. Had an unplanned closure for a couple of months this past winter after the multiport blew a gasket. Didn’t feel like dealing with it so just let everything sit a couple of months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.