I'm SLAMing and desperately need guidance

Progress for sure. Are you saying that ladder can't be removed? Or this is the one you are trying to get the bolts out of the steps in the ladder? I'm confused.

Just take the ladder out until you are done with slam and can clean the ladder...

Progress for sure. Are you saying that ladder can't be removed? Or this is the one you are trying to get the bolts out of the steps in the ladder? I'm confused.

Just take the ladder out until you are done with slam and can clean the ladder...
Both ladders are stuck.
On school pool ladder, we took off bumper pads from the bottom of the rails. They are soaking in bleach solution, together with gasket rings (that hold the glass in) from pool lights.

Both ladders are stuck.
On school pool ladder, we took off bumper pads from the bottom of the rails. They are soaking in bleach solution, together with gasket rings (that hold the glass in) from pool lights.
I think you will find that we need to figure out how to get the ladder out to get rid of all the algae. I couldn't get an OCLT to pass with them in. THREE DAYS it sat at 2.0ppm loss. Finally figured out the ladder was hollow, passed the next night. Can you lift the escutcheons (silver rings) and take a picture of the entry of the tubes into the deck? Is there a bolt head there?

If not, you may need to get a 2x4, place under the arch, and use a heavy hammer, small sledge to bump it out. I would also recommend some PB Blaster and let it soak a while before you try this.

Why don't you post some picts of the entry area with the escutcheons lifted...

Reactions: Ignoramus
I am lost on both pools. If this pool has a vinyl liner, please put a rag or something between the ladder and the pool
I have decided to focus on school pool for now.
But thank you for the pointer, I'll keep it in mind for vinyl pool.
I think you will find that we need to figure out how to get the ladder out to get rid of all the algae. I couldn't get an OCLT to pass with them in. THREE DAYS it sat at 2.0ppm loss. Finally figured out the ladder was hollow, passed the next night. Can you lift the escutcheons (silver rings) and take a picture of the entry of the tubes into the deck? Is there a bolt head there?

If not, you may need to get a 2x4, place under the arch, and use a heavy hammer, small sledge to bump it out. I would also recommend some PB Blaster and let it soak a while before
yesterday i finally remembered to bring PB blaster and soaked them. Periodically I'll try to (unsuccessfully) wiggle them and then bang them with rubber mallet. I would hit the arch from below. Nothing budged.
Why don't you post some picts of the entry area with the escutcheons lifted...
I had to clean out tiny pebble+concrete mix that was covering them. Second image below.

Thank you!
20221209_085617.jpg
20221202_094353.jpg

I have decided to focus on school pool for now.
But thank you for the pointer, I'll keep it in mind for vinyl pool.

yesterday i finally remembered to bring PB blaster and soaked them. Periodically I'll try to (unsuccessfully) wiggle them and then bang them with rubber mallet. I would hit the arch from below. Nothing budged.

I had to clean out tiny pebble+concrete mix that was covering them. Second image below.

Thank you!
View attachment 464785
View attachment 464786
If you use a rubber mallet to hit the pole about 12” from where it comes up from the deck so it moves toward the water, while adding a bit of upward pressure, it should help. Sometimes the feet are pressing against the pool wall a bit which causes interference in the mounting holes.

Goal 1 accomplished! Pool water is clear!
THANK YOU TO ALL Y'ALL!
And, of course, I have questions. 😁

20221209_085917.jpg

1. Please take a look at the staining that's mostly on the walls. Does it still look like rust? No mustard algae or some other pestilential invader? 20221209_085855.jpg20221209_085824.jpg

2. OCLT criteria
I have CYA 40, so my SLAM goal is FC=16. If I dump a lot of chlorine and leave the pool with FC=19 at 4 pm, what would be a reasonable target FC for the next morning, in order to pass OCLT test?

Last edited:
If you use a rubber mallet to hit the pole about 12” from where it comes up from the deck so it moves toward the water, while adding a bit of upward pressure, it should help. Sometimes the feet are pressing against the pool wall a bit which causes interference in the mounting holes.
Actually, the feet are quite far from the wall.
Or maybe I've pushed them off the wall when I used dryer vent cleaner brush inside the rails? I doubt it, but the chance is there. 20221209_092917.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Periodically I'll try to (unsuccessfully) wiggle them and then bang them with rubber mallet
They likely haven't been out in ages and will take some diplomacy on your part to convince them to come out again. Try both ways from the link above.
1. Please take a look at the staining that's mostly on the walls. Does it still look like rust? No mustard algae or some other pestilential invader?
Looks like typical staining to me but I'm not too fluent in plaster so hang tight for better eyes.
what would be a reasonable target FC for the next morning, in order to pass OCLT test?
Ideally you want the loss to be zero with no sunlight. You're handicapped not living there though. Normally we advise to hold SLAM for an extra day to ensure they got it all. Maybe based on the circumstances, hold it for several extra days of (presumably) little loss by the time you get there.
All good. With nobody on the ladder, the plaster will be fine. There was some mixed signals concern it was touching vinyl which is a big concern.

*also, if you haven't deep cleaned the filter since the water has been clear, do so. There's no telling what kinda gunk has been festering in there, and for how long, otherwise. (y)

Here is how those anchors work. You want to loosen the bolt, not remove, then tap it to remove the pressure from the wedge. Looks like one of the bolts is missing. You can source a SS bolt of the right size/thread to use with the one that is missing the bolt. You want the wedges loose before you try to persuade the ladder up and out.

1670602681011.png

Reactions: Newdude
Or maybe I've pushed them off the wall when I used dryer vent cleaner brush inside the rails? I doubt it, but the chance is there. View attachment 464797
Ah, if the feet aren’t touching the wall then my suggestion won’t do much. Looks like the exact same ladder as mine. But make sure you loosen those bolts before you try removing it since those hold it in.

1. Please take a look at the staining that's mostly on the walls. Does it still look like rust? No mustard algae or some other pestilential invader?

Go through the stain identification process described in...

If a paste of vitamin C clears the stain then it is iron.

Or use Jacks Magic Stain ID Kit...

Some of the staining can just be old plaster discoloration. You are not going to get it back looking like new without a replaster job.

They likely haven't been out in ages and will take some diplomacy on your part to convince them to come out again. Try both ways from the link above.
I'll recruit some reinforcementsShrek with reason and persuasion.gif
Looks like typical staining to me but I'm not too fluent in plaster so hang tight for better eyes.

Ideally you want the loss to be zero with no sunlight. You're handicapped not living there though. Normally we advise to hold SLAM for an extra day to ensure they got it all. Maybe based on the circumstances, hold it for several extra days of (presumably) little loss by the time you get there.
Thank you! You've confirmed my thinking to keep up SLAMing for several days more.

All good. With nobody on the ladder, the plaster will be fine. There was some mixed signals concern it was touching vinyl which is a big concern.
I took the steps off that ladder almost a month ago to clean them out at my leisure on the deck. And I will not install them until I'm completely done SLAMing, cleaning, balancing the pool.

Thank you!

Ah, if the feet aren’t touching the wall then my suggestion won’t do much. Looks like the exact same ladder as mine. But make sure you loosen those bolts before you try removing it since those hold it in.
I have removed the bolts. There was crystallization of some crud inside the anchor, so I took them off to clean. And I've filled them with water. I'll wick out all the water and PB blaster mix, put the screws back, and (lightly) spray fresh PB blaster.

Thank you!

I have removed the bolts. There was crystallization of some crud inside the anchor, so I took them off to clean. And I've filled them with water. I'll wick out all the water and PB blaster mix, put the screws back, and (lightly) spray fresh PB blaster.

Thank you!
See if you can thread the screws back in just a little bit and tap them down with a rubber mallet which will push the wedge down and off of the poles

I'll wick out all the water and PB blaster mix, put the screws back, and (lightly) spray fresh PB blaster.
Go easy with that stuff. I couldn't get mine out the first time (how I invented the 2X4 / sledge combo) and went heavy on WD40. It bled an oily residue for years after.
I took the steps off that ladder almost a month ago to clean them out
Making lemons outta lemonade if you can't get the rails out, that means you have 6 access holes for turkey baster-ing chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.