I'm not a stupid person, I just play one on TFP. A story of a check valve.

Feb 15, 2017
Little Elm, TX
Ugh. So, guys, it's been a rough week for this first time new pool owner and it continues. The pump failed to self prime last Saturday morning and ran dry for 4 or 5 hours as best we can figure. Supposedly, it has a censor that shuts itself off before too much damage can be done but, who really knows? A tech from the PB has been out almost every day since. They would fix something and the next morning, it wouldn't self prime. They's fix something else, and it wouldn't self prime. Finally, on Tuesday, they sent someone out and I asked him where the check valve was since our pool equipment is QUITE a bit higher (several feet) than the waterline. No check valve. They rectified that yesterday and this morning the pool self primed on it's own. Finally.

Today, the spa heater won't come on. They're coming out tomorrow. That's a whole other bag of frustration.

However, my question is this:

From day 1 when they started up the pool, it didn't look right to me. Yes, this is my first pool but, my parents have built 4 pools in my lifetime so I've been around them enough to know when things seem off. We couldn't get the bubblers on the tanning ledge and the 'fountain' in the spa to work at the same time. There wasn't enough pressure. Also we have been brushing and brushing for almost a month and there is still a ton of plaster dust on the slope into the deep end. DE has washed back into the pool twice. I've had to top off the water twice, 24 days in, there is a ton of particulate floating on the surface (with a DE filter and a an ozonater, I don't think that I should see this much) Also, I watched a spider in the pool last week float in the same spot for over 8 hours, and never move an inch toward a skimmer. I've never seen that.

However, in the 18 hours since they installed the check valve, the bubblers are jetting out like mad, and the debris field on the surface seems to have cleared almost entirely Can a check valve affect the pressure of the entire pool plumbing this much?! I can't believe it could have so much impact. Let me know what you think! Thank you!

Coco, I'm sorry to hear you've gone thru all this with your gorgeous new pool. :(

I can't answer any of your questions re: the check valve.....but I just wanted to clarify that your ozonator would have no affect on the particles floating around. The DE filter would be the "catcher" of that kind of schmutz.

Yippee :flower:

Thank you for your response. I agree. It seems unlikely . The tech also replaced an '$8 seal' in the pump that he said was likely damaged by the pump running dry but, I'm wondering if perhaps that seal (not the o-ring)
was damaged or not fitting properly beforehand and maybe that was the culprit.
I could see maybe the priming issue being fixed or aided by a check valve.

However, I dont see the running pressure changing much, if at all, from a check valve. (Definitely will not improve the flow).

Thank you, Yippee. Any support, is positive support, when navigating 'new waters'. I appreciate your intel. I don't even remember talking about the ozonater when we were in the planning stage. So many things that I wish we had done and so many that I wish we hadn't. Live and learn. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it!
Coco, I'm sorry to hear you've gone thru all this with your gorgeous new pool. :(

I can't answer any of your questions re: the check valve.....but I just wanted to clarify that your ozonator would have no affect on the particles floating around. The DE filter would be the "catcher" of that kind of schmutz.

Yippee :flower:

I am betting that something they "fixed" fixed everything. How is the pressure on your gauge? Is it different now? Did you notice how the returns felt before and now?

Has anyone talked about replacing the pump since their mistake of not putting in the check valve caused it to run dry?

Kim:kim:

First of all Kim, if I could, let me say that your badge designation on here should be changed from 'Moderator' to 'Oracle' for your thoughtful advice and time spent. I see you really trying to help everyone that comes into this forum. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is so appreciative of your knowledge. Thank you so much for always reaching out to us newcomers! :kim: Beyond that, I'm SO hoping that you're right. They either fixed something while they were at it or the fixes that they planned, fixed the issue. Tomorrow another tech will come out and 'fix the configuration of the heater into the automation' and do a full diagnostic on the system. Pools shouldn't be such tricky characters. Assign me to that task team. Thank you for all of your help and enthusiasm. You remind me of why we all wanted a pool in the first place, because it's fun!
I am betting that something they "fixed" fixed everything. How is the pressure on your gauge? Is it different now? Did you notice how the returns felt before and now?

Has anyone talked about replacing the pump since their mistake of not putting in the check valve caused it to run dry?

Kim:kim:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a suction side leak. The check valve is disguising it.

Did they do an air tight test overnight?

The pool builder awards are bull pucky too.
Thanksn Gwegan! They just installed the check valve yesterday but, I agree there is likely still a leak. I didn't think the Top 50 list was an award just a list based on volume of sales. Am I mistaken? Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely ask for an airtight test to be done. Can you tell me what's involved, please. I want to be clear about what I am asking for. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Agree that you may have a leak. In this case, it is letting air into the line, so water drains back to the pool.

Before pump may have looked like it was running, but lack of proper priming (from air in the line) may have kept it from having real flow...mine does that if water level gets down too far and skimmer sucks air...sounds and looks like it is working, but no real flow.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It's just based on reported sales. But that tells you little about quality. I will say in construction the more experienced the better the product. But on the other hand would rather have a home built by a low end subdivision a Hine or a semi custom builder?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.