Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I got disgusted replacing the plastic Pentair filter valves every few years. Each replacement cost about $25. For $38.64, I got a beautifully machined brass valve and pressure gauge assembly, including tax and shipping, It's a thing of beauty and will last forever. Take that, Pentair.

Manufacturer Link for

Amazon link

IMG_3658.jpgIMG_3659.jpgIMG_3660b.jpg

V20-225 – Val-Pak FNS Air Relief/Gauge

Reactions: HermanTX
Oh, timely! I think I spotted a leak at my gauge just the other day. Probably just the o-ring. But now you've inspired me! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check if they have a 30psi version...

Last edited:

I have a VS pump so I would have used a 30 lb. gauge... But other than that, it is a thing of beauty.. :thumleft:

Thanks,

Jim R.
You make a good point about using a gauge with a smaller range. I'm on the fence about changing the pressure gauge to a high quality, accurate instrument. Do you have a suggestion for a brand and model? For non-consumable items, my moto is to buy it once and never deal with it again. I'm told old and too cranky to cheap out.

Reactions: Dirk

I bought mine from TF-testkits.. I think they were about $20 bucks each... I doubt that they are "instrument" grade, but they are glycerin filled and work great for me..

Looks like they are only $15 bucks each..

Since my filter pressure is normally only about 2 lbs. or so, at 1200 RPM, I need the 30 lb. gauge to see the needle move at all.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Would frbruno64's gauge screw right into the housing of a Pentair filter? I want to replace the works. Jim's gauge is only about half the parts needed...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Pentair high flow air relief valve has two features that are important -

1. It allows for a very high flow rate of air to be relieved quickly.

2. It’s a plastic male thread into a female fiberglass threaded opening.

While feature #1 may or may not be desirable, feature #2 is essential in good plumbing design - you NEVER screw a metal male thread into a non-metallic female thread. The differential in thermal expansion coefficient can lead to leaks in the best case scenario OR cause cracking of the shell in the worst case scenario.

Time will tell if your “upgrade” is a success but, as for me,$30 on a new plastic valve every 2-3 seasons is really no big deal.

The Pentair high flow air relief valve has two features that are important -

1. It allows for a very high flow rate of air to be relieved quickly.

2. It’s a plastic male thread into a female fiberglass threaded opening.

While feature #1 may or may not be desirable, feature #2 is essential in good plumbing design - you NEVER screw a metal male thread into a non-metallic female thread. The differential in thermal expansion coefficient can lead to leaks in the best case scenario OR cause cracking of the shell in the worst case scenario.

Time will tell if your “upgrade” is a success but, as for me,$30 on a new plastic valve every 2-3 seasons is really no big deal.
I got disgusted replacing the plastic Pentair filter valves every few years. Each replacement cost about $25. For $38.64, I got a beautifully machined brass valve and pressure gauge assembly, including tax and shipping, It's a thing of beauty and will last forever. Take that, Pentair.

Manufacturer Link for

Amazon link

I intend to install a high quality, accurate pressure gauge this season. Research led me to Ashcroft, a manufacturer of industrial gauges. www.ashcroft.com

As luck would have it, the territory sales manager is a fellow pool lover. He provided these two pearls of wisdom related to gauges and pools.
- Dry gauges avoid temperature issues associated with liquid filled gauges.
- Consider a range that keeps the pointer as close to the 12-o’clock position as possible when filter is operating

At his suggestion, I purchased the Ashcroft 1009 Duralife Pressure Gauge, Part Number: 25-1009-SW-02L-XLL-30#
- Industrial grade
- Accuracy: 1%
- PLUS! dampening system for vibration/pulsation (liquid-filled performance in a dry gauge)
- 316L Stainless Steel case
- Range 0-30 psi

Link to 1009 Data Sheet

Attached is a photo of the Ashcroft 1099 gauge. Also attached is a photo of the internal workings of the Pentair OEM gauge, which I was compelled to pull apart to satisfy my curiosity.

Ashcroft gauge and box
Ashcroft 1099 gauge.jpg Ashcroft box.jpg

Inside and face of Pentair OEM gauge
Pentair OEM Back.jpg Pentair OEM Dial.jpg

Last edited:
I take it you don’t have a VS pump. Someday when you get a VS pump and begin running your pool at low RPMs you will find your normal filter PSI in 5 or less. The pointer does not stay around 12 o’clock with modern pool equipment.

I take it you don’t have a VS pump. Someday when you get a VS pump and begin running your pool at low RPMs you will find your normal filter PSI in 5 or less. The pointer does not stay around 12 o’clock with modern pool equipment.
Good point. They offer 0-10 psi and 0-20 psi ranges. Maybe I should have opted for the 0-20 range to cover both scenarios.

Good point. They offer 0-10 psi and 0-20 psi ranges. Maybe I should have opted for the 0-20 range to cover both scenarios.

No, because a VS pump can have high pressures at max RPM.

The whole idea that the needle should be towards vertical is old think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.