I'm a sucker, and I think I got suckered

Aug 15, 2018
DFW, TX
Full disclosure...

A few weeks ago, I bought one of those solar powered copper ion generators because of the promise of lowering FC, using less chlorine, and keeping algae at bay. I bought this one: Hilltop Solar Solar Pool Ionizer 14.0 Volts

I bought this before really getting a grasp on proper pool care. I recently put this thing in my pool after getting my water balance under control.

Now, I think I am seeing more rust stain spots on the bottom of the pool (there was some stains present before we bought the house).

Will this device cause more staining?
Did I waste my money on this floating gizmo?
How can I remove the stains?

Give it to me straight, doc!

It is adding metals to your water (something we NEVER recommend you do), so it could certainly add to staining issues
Although given that it is only powered by the sun, it is likely not really adding much of anything ... not sure there is enough power.

While adding copper to the water can help prevent algae, it does not kill the pathogens in the water. Algae is an early warning sign that the water may not be safe. If you use copper to prevent algae, you may get a false sense of security that your water is safe.

We ALWAYS recommend you keep the FC above the minimum listed for your CYA in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] which will keep the pool clear and safe.

I would return it if you can.

Dealing with Metals in your Water

Global Charming:

I looked at the return policy, and this may be a difficult one. But live and learn, as we all have made a mistake here and there. You may want to call the manufacturer and explain the situation. Be honest and up front with them about the staining. If they do not agree with a full refund, or at least a partial return, I would make it very clear to them that you post bad reviews on this forum and others as well. At least, other forum members will be able to view this post. Although, you may want to have it changed to reflect the title of the Hilltop Solar Solar Pool Ionizer 14.0 Volts.

There were no reviews and this is probably one tell tale sign of the product. I made a mistake once where I had ordered the wrong thing on line and the return policy was 30% for restocking. I had no recourse whatsoever. Since then, I always take a step back and am patient before I make any decisions. Good luck with this and please keep us posted.

As a consumer & a vendor, one must take accountability for their actions. Buyers remorse is not accountability.

If a true product failure, the vendor is accountable.

I spent 100$ on a terrible dinner tonight, well terrible because I tried a new dish that I didn’t like.

Take it out immediately and get some metal magic to try to remove any stains. DON'T "shock" the pool - this will oxidize the copper stains further maing them much harder to remove. I had a Nature 2 copper/silver sanitizer 20 years ago. Only thing it accomplished was to stain the pool. My pool builder said "pour shock onto the stains"(!) Of course, this simply oxidized the blue/grey stain into an ugly black stain!

Whether or not you can get your money back after using the device is unclear. Most pool places state that returns is not permitted if it's been used/installed.

Chalk it up to experience and move on. Not worth the grief for $150.

per sktn = "Chalk it up to experience and move on. Not worth the grief for $150."

this is great advice...call seller, tell them it did not work and if they say sorry, hang up and move on.

if you have a nbor w a pool that you really don't like, you could repackage it and leave it on their porch as a "pool lottery winner" LOL well, just kidding but at least you may have received a good laugh for $150

I spent 100$ on a terrible dinner tonight, well terrible because I tried a new dish that I didn’t like.

When I don't like a new dish I mention it to the waiter. Usually they offer to get me something else.

Vendors don't like to poison a customer relationship over one bad product. Many vendors are now tracking returns by customer and if you abuse the return privliges they may start refusing returns. It does not hurt to tell the vendor of your disappointment in their product and see how they respond.

Vendors also don't want bad customer reviews on social media and websites.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.