IFCS Not Doing the Job

Jul 3, 2014
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool is just over a year old and is the 4th one I've built. All have had IFCS however this one does a poor job of removing fine dirt/dust that seems to get in almost daily this time of year when the winds pick up or if we have a big dust storm. I'm having to brush the dirt along 3-4 times a week and spoon feed it to the main drain. The IFCS seems to mostly spread the dirt around the floor and walls efficiently. A fair amount ends up at the furthest end from the main drain even after I brush all that dirt away towards the deep end of the pool.

Unless I'm missing it, with this build I don' see a suction port where I could plug in a hose and vacuum the pool manually.

I run the filter from 9PM-7AM at 2400rpm and from 3PM-4PM at 1500rpm.

I set the suction valve at approximately 70% drain 30% skimmer.

Appreciate any thoughts on what I could try, out of ideas at the moment.

Thanks!

Not sure about adjusting the ifcs - although I know it can be. But for the interim you can manually vac through your skimmer. You may need to get an adapter plate to use the skimmer basket to catcg large debris or just remove the basket & put the hose in the suction pipe if u don’t have any large debris.

With an IFCS, 2400 rpm isn't going to be enough for it to work properly. Bump the rpm to 2800-3200. You will hafe to experiment to see what rpm works best for your system as every pool is different.

When the infloor is running at the higher rpm, is all water flow going to the IFCS?

The GV4 heads are manufactured by A&A Manufacturing in Phoenix. If you are the original owner, give them a call to discuss and ask to have someone come out as the system isn't cleaning as advertised. They have sent out a tech - for free - to others over the past several years. Original owner has a lifetime warranty on the IFCS moving parts.

I run my 20+ year old A&A system at 2800rpm from 6am to 8am and 4pm to 6pm. The pump runs the rest of the day (20 hours as I choose to run 24/7 with my SWG) at 1200 rpm (1200 rpm is sufficient to skim my pool). The pool stays clean. In Phoenix (w/SRP electric) it costs me well under $20 per month in electric.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the response. Any idea the name of the adapter plate and/or where I can locate it?
If you are unsure of your exact skimmer, look at the top and bottom of the skimmer lid for clues. Many times the manufacturer and model numbers found there can help determine the skimmer model - or fall your builder and ask.

Thanks everyone for the replies! On the skimmer question, I don't have the original lid since we tiled over everything with travertine. My build sheet from Shasta indicates "Quick Clean Extreme", not sure how helpful that is but the skimmer is circular and 8" in diameter.

Proavia-what is SWG? I will definitely increase the pump RPM in my overnight program and see if that makes the difference.

Hit send too soon... Proavia on the waterflow question, I believe all the flow is directed at the IFCS. In looking at the pool equipment, I don't see how I could divert elsewhere. I don't see a mixing valve/handle on the return plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chances are it's an A&A Quik-Skim venturi skimmer, given Shastas's Quick Clean Extreme on the build sheet. It probable incorporates the A&A infloor, LeafVac, Quik-skim, etc.

I can't tell from your tiny pics - explain what all the label writing is, especially on the return side.
A few wider shots of your equipment pad would also help.

Yes, its a venturi skimmer. The manufacturer sent me instructions on how convert into a vacuum port... very simple. On the return side plumbing there is an electronic valve that sends water to the water feature (3 waterfalls). Each of those waterfalls has its own valve. Other than that there are two blue handle valves which control the aerator and quick skim respectively. Beyond that the water goes directly into the gear set.

SWG is a salt water chlorine generator. It uses salt in the pool water and electricity to produce chlorine.

Upping the pump rpm for the cleaning cycle will certainly help. Having the GV4 venturi popups should also help.
If you are still having cleaning issues, seriously consider calling A&A to discuss and possible have them come out to tweak the system. I think 4 hours per day max for the cleaning cycle will be sufficient. It may not get every last crumb. And you may need to use a leaf rake/net to remove larger debris.

Thank you all. I increased the rpm to 2900 last night and it made a nice difference.
Great!
Now try 2800 or 2700 rpm and see if it cleans to your satisfaction. Running it at a lower rpm decreases electricity costs.

You might also try reducing the 1500rpm speed. Keep reducing toward 1000rpm (lower than 1000rpm has diminishing returns) until you notice the skimming action is not adequate, then increase by 100rpm. This will help save some $$ in electric cost.

For any rpm, remember the efficiency and ability to clean/skim will go down as the filter gets dirty. We recommend cleaning the filter when the filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.