If you had your choice of equipment brand...which one? why?

May 26, 2007
Benton, La
One of the first PB to get me a quote (and one of most expensive) has contacted us and wants to requote the job. He typically installs Hayward, but has given us the option of going with Pentair or Jandy if we prefer.

If you were given the choice, which would you select and why?

Pool will be salt, approx. 20,000 gallons and we prefer to keep it all one brand to allow full automation.

Bass,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy... I always like to say... "everyone else is almost as good.."

But the truth is that all three of the major brands are about the same...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The problem is, most people are only familiar with one brand, the one that they have. So they could say if they are happy with it or not, but I don't think saying it is "better" means anything.

THis is going to be very bias I like my pentair. All pentair. What I like is you can call for support and they will talk to you. They were a huge help with my easytouch setup. I would pick them again due to support.

Hayward has the better (consumer friendly) SWG concept - power supply and control electronics are separate from the cell making the cell replacement much cheaper. Pentair SWG cells have most of the electronics integrated into the cell body making replacement costs twice the price of a comparable Hayward.

Raypak is the "best-of-breed" heaters, neither Pentair nor Hayward come close.

Pentair has the better control system. Way too many complaints here about Jandy AquaLink and whatever Hayward calls theirs (OmniLogic? GoldLine? more options than socks in my sock drawer...). Aside from some non-obvious programming logic, Pentair is very easy to figure out. All the others seem to want the end user to use their cloud-services for extra features as opposed to Pentair which is all self-contained, no need to link up to the internet.

Pentair has the best-of-breed variable speed pump, there's nothing better than the IntelliFlo on the market. I also personally think the Pentair Clean & Clear or QuadDE filters are the best. I love my QuadDE and, if you don't mind DE filters in general, it is much better than the standard grid-based DE filters.

So, at the end of the day, they all have some good and some bad qualities....I think you'll want to stick with a system that the PB knows how to install. If you're asking a Hayward-only PB to do a Pentair installation for you, that's asking for trouble in my book because they will be entirely unfamiliar with the systems, how to hook them up and who to call when they get neck-deep in trouble with no way out....

:goodpost: That's what is really helpful. It's nice for people to give their opinions but also giving the reason for their preference helps when someone's trying to make a decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.