If I'm going to convert in the spring, would it be best to stop adding anymore CDX? Or doesn't it really make much difference by next year?

I believe at this point there is little more to be done or said until I actually move forward with a conversion. Since it remains uncertain when exactly that will be - but certainly won't be this season anymore - I think I will be signing off until at least towards the end of fall, at which time I should have a better handle on what will happen with my '21 travel schedule. I have much to do between now and when it's time to close the pool, and then October through December is always a hectic time, so best that I give all the pool talk a much deserved rest for the next few months. Thanks to everyone for all the continued helpful advice and support.

Take care, be well, and, most importantly, stay safe 😷 See you in '21!!!

You could always pick up a cheap intex cartridge filter (off craigs list or anybody else on the forum who is up grading) and use that to vacuum to waste. Run it w/ no cartridge. just a thought.

We have an in-house pool on when you will actually change over to chlorine... I bet $5 bucks on 2036... Please let us know when it happens as I'd like to collect my winnings.. :mrgreen:
You MAY not have to wait that long....I was off to a good start here, but now the filter pressure just went up from 14 to 17 less than 2 hours after putting in a chemically cleaned set of DE grids and having cleaned out the filter tank, pump strainer, etc...the usual thing I do every time I have to change the DE. If this season turns into another of those DE changes every 5-6 days...then it's time to dump the water and start over...with chlorine.

. If this season turns into another of those DE changes every 5-6 days...then it's time to dump the water and start over...with chlorine
Ya know Anthony……. I don’t believe I have ever rooted so hardly for somebody to fail, just so I could root for them to succeed after it.

I mean this in the kindest, your best interests at heart kind of way. :)

• Love
Reactions: mguzzy and magiteck
Ya know Anthony……. I don’t believe I have ever rooted so hardly for somebody to fail, just so I could root for them to succeed after it.

I mean this in the kindest, your best interests at heart kind of way. :)
So I’m thinking you wouldn’t object to me adding some Floc to the pool and running the vacuume?

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
So I’m thinking you wouldn’t object to me adding some Floc to the pool and running the vacuume?
In Anthony’s pool, just this *one* time, if it helps him see the light………. Then nope. No problems at all. Flocc away!! :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm...never used flocc. I thought this is not a good idea if there's no way to vacuum to waste (?) Just as an update - had to change the DE a 2nd time today (maybe a third yet...remains to be seen). I've seen this happen before where after initial start-up in spring the water clears nicely with very few DE charges, and then reverts back to cloudiness, thus necessitating several short-duration DE cycles. Weird, since in the past the pattern has always been the opposite. It'd take several cycles of gradually increasing length right away when clearing up the swamp - starting with the first cycle sometimes only 20 minutes long, then like an hour, and increasing from there. Have to wonder if all the rain (and we had alot here) blew in lots of stuff that simply overpowered the filter despite the water still looking reasonably clear. Oh well...."and the beat goes on...dada dada dada daaaaaa..."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are up for some floc, I have some leftovers from my past life! 2 different flavors, liquid or crystal.

Having self medicated my pool with guidance here, dump 2 gallons of 12% LC for the next 8-10 days. You'll clear up your pool and not have to charge your DE again this summer. I removed the sand filter and installed on May 12th. I am just now seeing it climb to halfway on the pressure gauge.

Attachments

• 20210608_100221.jpg
    20210608_100221.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Leebo
Man i was hoping to have read you already started converting to lc. You were pretty yp for it at end of last season. From what i have read in this thread, you spend more time trying to get pool clear and clean, instead of being in the pool enjoying it. Look at all the hours spent working with the de filter alone let alone all the chemicals and cleaning of the pool itself that needs done. My time is worth almost 20 bucks an hour at work, so at home they are worth at least 3 times as much. Would i want to spend 60 dollars an hour for as many hours as it seems has been being racked up doong pool maintenance? Absolutely not. My time is precious and i want to spend it with my family and doing fun things. Not doing chores for hours on end that could be done in just a few minutes time daily and a bit longer on occasion. Not trying to bash you, just to give another point of view on a conversion to lc from a time is money standpoint. Whichever you decide i hope for the best. When i get a bigger pool in next year i will go swcg on it to make it even less work to do other than my daily testing.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
You were pretty yp for it at end of last season
Yeah...you're right, but I think I also mentioned at the end of the summer about trying the Baquacil Line Clean as a maintenance product - getting rid of the Aqua Finesse tablets (already sold all of them) and see what happens. That's about where I am now. So far, still getting the frequent filter pressure increase but it's too soon to make a determination since we've had so much rain - a few really heavy storms that blew lots of debris in the pool. Next few weeks should tell the story though. It's not so much a case of 'being pretty up for it' but rather having little other recourse. The actual conversion process surely wouldn't be something I'd look forward to since it sounds like a heck of a lot of work until the water actually clears and all the baqua goo out. Another issue is that my filter doesn't have any sort of vacuum to waste feature - so I'm sure that would be a detriment. If my water stays clear, and the filter needs to be done approximately once a week, that amounts to doing it roughly 16 times during a season. Each time (unless the DE grids are really bad), it takes roughly about an hour from start to finish. 16 hours divided by the 16-week swimming season comes out to an hour a week - which really doesn't seem unreasonable IF there are no other issues AND the water is clear and doesn't present other problems (like being cloudy, presence of white water mold, pink slime, etc.). That's partly what was frustrating about last season until things settled down in August - frequent filter change BUT the water was clear practically the entire season. I really need to just stop overthinking it all - so much else around the house, etc. that should be receiving the attention instead of worrying about what's going on with the pool. End of September will be here soon enough anyway and then time to close it up and get ready to travel!!

Last edited:
Do you have room to put in a temporary diverter from them pump? A simple union and section of pipe to blast the nasty stuff out temporarily. Then add water, and filter. 2 fold, remove baquacil goo when vacuuming and dilute as you refill to level.

• Early April once you return have everything ready. Have a test kit in hand and a ton of bleach. Maybe even a truck of water for an exchange. 😂 Hit the conversion HARD early/mid-April as much of the Baqua will likely be diluted
  • Come May and your trip you’ll be on chlorine and we can help you with that problem then. 👍
Lee....checked my calendar and saw that next April is clear of any trips (barring one that might yet be rescheduled from all the covid cancellations - no idea when that might be though. Cruise line is supposed to reschedule a date). So....after we get home from a trip end of March, that would be the time. Next trip is not till nearly mid-May. So April (basically whole month) would be enough time to do a conversion??? Only problem then would be that I'd be away from the pool for nearly 2 weeks in May. Is that a good idea after (presumably) just getting everything up and running with chlorine? I don't keep the grids in the filter when I'm away on a trip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.