If I was to purchase a SWG which one?

May 22, 2014
Newmanstown PA
Hello everyone. Kimmy Kat Kat's (haha) and Jim R. brought up looking into an SWG for my AGP for easier maintenance. Especially in my case where I am gone from home a lot. Typically my wife will just join the local pool when I'm not there in the summer and has for the past three years, but she would like to start using the pool at home and a SWG just might help with this while I'm gone. Especially because I will have to hire someone to come out weekly (at best).

While reading through some of the SWG threads I'm learning that going bigger is ideal and can save you on electricity. Typically when I'm home and I run my pool our electric bill goes up about $150 extra a month. Now this was before the new Hayward 2 speed pump that I purchased last year and with an average run time of about 8 hours. But even so, running the new pump while I was home for 2 1/2 weeks to fix a ripped winter cover and a green pool of death, I spent about $230 which resulted in 1,523kw hours for the month at about 49 kw per day. This was over 1,000 kw more then the previous month as the kw per day was 19. So in just a little over weeks I added roughly 30 kw more per day by running the pump on high 24/7. Granted the pump was running this way because I was in the SLAM process. If I could set everything up properly and run it on low speed for 8 hours I would hope for a much much lower bill, but as you can see my bill can get out of hand fast. So, if I purchase a SWG I wouldn't mine spending more money on something that may be overkill in order to save some electricity. I know Jim R. recommends 2-3 times bigger than needed.

Looking at SWG's I found the top two to be Hayward and Pentair. The Hayward AquaRite models that might work best for me seem to be the R9, R15, R15 LL, and the 15-120. The Pentair models are the IC40 and the IC60, which may just be a complete monster. If there are other ones I should be considering please let me know. Either way I'd appreciate everyones feedback. This may or may not happen this season, but I'd like to get a little more insight and helpful information on what you all think would work best for me.

Pool info in my sig. Any questions or anything I forgot to post please let me know.

Thank you.

Judd

Judd,

We always recommend a SWCG rated for 2 x the volume of water in your pool.. So for a 15K pool you need a 30K SWCG.. I'm not sure they make a 30K but several companies make 40K units. That is what I have on my 17K pool.

I like Pentair because I have Pentair. Others like Hayward because that is what they have, etc. Unless you are going to have some type of automation system in the future, which I doubt... I would pick one of the major brands that has a good price.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the Pentair IC40 on my 30,000 gallon pool, currently I need to run it at 100% duty cycle for 9 hours/day to maintain FC at 6ppm with CYA at 80 ppm. I'm already wishing I had the bigger IC60, I'm only going to need to run it longer once the summer heat hits (pool in full sun morning to late afternoon). I have my VS pump programmed to run 9am-8pm, and the IC40 cell is powered off of the mechanical timer to run at 100% 10am-7pm. So far this arrangement (without automation) is working fine, and I see no big issue with adjusting the start/stop of the mechanical timer to control cell on/off time and therefore chlorine production. I know my cell won't last as long running at 100%, but no biggie!

If you are looking to add SWG due to extended periods away from home -- I would not recommend AutoPilot. My PB originally installed AutoPilot Nano system but ran into problems with it regularly malfunctioning and going into super-chlorinate mode (100% output). I had posted about that issue on here, never had any resolution. PB even replaced the box twice, still same problem. Imagine if you went on extended leave/vacation and that the SWG was generating 100% output for the time you were gone, your pool would have been a mess.

PB repalced AutoPilot with Hayward and it has worked flawlessly. It doesn't look as "slick" as the AutoPilot, but it's reliable and displays all the same information as the AutoPilot (sometimes simpler is better as long as it's functional).

As others have mentioned just be sure to get SWG that is for ATLEAST twice the size of your pool. You might consider even going one level up from that, no harm to the cell and you can run it less often and lengthen the life of the cell which could result in lower overall costs.

I didn't purchase anything yet and the way it looks, I wont be this summer either. I need to get my butt home. I sold two 50lb jugs of chlorine pucks and other products not needed when converting to the TFP method. Well, now my wife had a neighbor look at the pool and said, "Oh SWG's are a pain in the butt." My wife tends to listen to others more than me which flippin pisses me off. Now he told her what to buy and she went out and purchased them. I know since I'm not home I would've had to convert back and pay a pool company this year anyhow, especially if I didn't purchase a SWG, but now I feel like I am going to be spending even more money since she went out and purchased all these products already and I'm going to have to pay someone to come take care of it weekly and I'm sure we will be charged for products in their price, regardless if they use ours.

It's just so frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a suggestion....have her read "Pool School" a few times, then the "ABC's". A little education never hurts.

Who knew having my wife read through some of the articles here would pay off. Thank you for the suggestion. After she did some reading, she called me up and said that this year she will join the local pool again and over the winter we will purchase a SWG. We are hoping that I will be home for good by next season to install the SWG and maintain the pool. Soon I will be flying back for 2 weeks and at that time slamming the pool and putting a new winter cover on since the one we have ripped to shreds. Perhaps making it a little easier for next season. I'm also hoping that once I return back home for good she will want to maintain the pool with me and become more involved, but that may be a long shot :)

Thank you,
Judd

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.