If FC is well controlled in SWG pool at relatively low percentage run time, do I really need more CYA?

Jul 29, 2018
FL Panhandle
My outdoor salt pool is a little over 3 years old. I'm typically keeping the CYA level around 30 which is much lower than recommended here, but find that I only need to run the SWG at 10 - 15% about 8 hours a day in the summer to keep the FC level around 3 ppm. The pool is used every day in season, but typically only 1 to 2 hours by one swimmer. Have not had any algae problems so far. So for my case, does it really make sense to raise the CYA levels?

If the way you're maintaining your pool is working for you.....good deal! I would think that would be hard to do especially in Florida.
If it ever goes south on you...you know what our recommendations are.

You are keeping your FC lower than I would be comfortable with, especially during a Florida summer!
When you keep it at 3 with your SWG, how low does it go when your SWG isn’t running?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a screen enclosure and I don't see performance like you describe. Low CYA works OK in the winter but when summer comes I need 60-80 ppm. How are you testing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWG was installed when the pool was built. I have a Taylor kit for testing CL (TC and CC), pH, Alk, Calc, Salt, and CYA. Also get the pool water tested at a pool store once a month. I'm in the FL panhandle, so perhaps not quite as hot in the summer as south FL. Also there is only one primary user (my wife) who showers before entering and is mostly swimming laps for an hour or so daily.

I was curious about the SWG because its so undersized (we always recommend a cell at least 2x the pool size) but is also listed as being one for Above Ground Pools. Just weird. You say you don't have any problems with algae?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.