If FC is well controlled in SWG pool at relatively low percentage run time, do I really need more CYA?

cptkirk

Jul 29, 2018
Miramar Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My outdoor salt pool is a little over 3 years old. I'm typically keeping the CYA level around 30 which is much lower than recommended here, but find that I only need to run the SWG at 10 - 15% about 8 hours a day in the summer to keep the FC level around 3 ppm. The pool is used every day in season, but typically only 1 to 2 hours by one swimmer. Have not had any algae problems so far. So for my case, does it really make sense to raise the CYA levels?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
If the way you're maintaining your pool is working for you.....good deal! I would think that would be hard to do especially in Florida.
If it ever goes south on you...you know what our recommendations are.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
You are keeping your FC lower than I would be comfortable with, especially during a Florida summer!
When you keep it at 3 with your SWG, how low does it go when your SWG isn’t running?

Reactions: Mdragger88

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is this pool in a screen enclosure?

cptkirk

Jul 29, 2018
Miramar Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I normally run the SWG from about 9am to 5pm and typically test first thing in the morning so its been off in the neighborhood of 14 hours at test time. Why would 3 ppm be low with CYA of 30?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
That is why your pool is not impacted by UV. It is essentially an indoor pool.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
👆This! What Marty said. The screen is blocking much of the UV, so you will need a lot less CYA. I bet with some experimenting you can find the optimum CYA level for your pool. Somewhere i remember seeing a thread discussing CYA for indoor pools

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I have a screen enclosure and I don't see performance like you describe. Low CYA works OK in the winter but when summer comes I need 60-80 ppm. How are you testing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

cptkirk

Jul 29, 2018
Miramar Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG was installed when the pool was built. I have a Taylor kit for testing CL (TC and CC), pH, Alk, Calc, Salt, and CYA. Also get the pool water tested at a pool store once a month. I'm in the FL panhandle, so perhaps not quite as hot in the summer as south FL. Also there is only one primary user (my wife) who showers before entering and is mostly swimming laps for an hour or so daily.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I was curious about the SWG because its so undersized (we always recommend a cell at least 2x the pool size) but is also listed as being one for Above Ground Pools. Just weird. You say you don't have any problems with algae?

Maddie :flower:

cptkirk

Jul 29, 2018
Miramar Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When I was selecting the type of SWG in my profile, I saw it said Hayward Turbo Cell and selected that. But taking another look at exactly what I have, it's a Hayward TCELL940