Ideas on how to drain pool filter and not flood my shed

nafreire

Jul 15, 2021
toronto,ontario, canada
I have a Hayward cartridge pool filter in my shed. When the drain plug is removed, the shed gets flooded. Any ideas how I can remove the water from the filter and not flood the shed? The shed has no drain. Is there another method of removing the water without using the drain plug on the filter?

Is the filter above the level of the pool water?

No real reason to drain the bottom of the filter housing. With pump off, open the air release valve and let the system drain and equalize. Then remove the upper housing, clean the filters, replace them, and reinstall the housing.

Is the filter above the level of the pool water?

No real reason to drain the bottom of the filter housing. With pump off, open the air release valve and let the system drain and equalize. Then remove the upper housing, clean the filters, replace them, and reinstall the housing.
Yes, the filter is above the pool water. I was thinking that when I open the filter water would fall all over the place if I did not open the drain plug. How about when it’s time to close the pool for the winter? Can still drain it without using thee drain plug and then open the drain plug at the end? Sorry first year with a pool.

By opening the air release valve, the water level will drop to the lowest port of the filter. You can then drain the remaining water if you wish by removing the drain plug.

For winterizing, you will need to pull the water out somehow. You can use the drain, or a shop vac.

By opening the air release valve, the water level will drop to the lowest port of the filter. You can then drain the remaining water if you wish by removing the drain plug.

For winterizing, you will need to pull the water out somehow. You can use the drain, or a shop vac.
Thanks. I was wondering if there was an easier way by adding a pipe to the drain with tap. But maybe it’s not worth the trouble if I can just use a shop vac.

If you have room, you can add a pipe with valve off the drain. Easier to do before the filter is installed.

I believe there are examples here on the forum. Search for it.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was an easier way by adding a pipe to the drain with tap. But maybe it’s not worth the trouble if I can just use a shop vac.
I have an AGP, but here’s what I did with mine. Similar concept to this.

full

This way I can connect a garden hose to it, open the valve, and direct it wherever I want.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.