Ideal place for 2 returns on this pool?

I'm no hydraulics expert, but I can suggest: was your skimmer located with wind in mind? Most areas have a prevailing wind. A direction in which it usually blows. Your return should be placed to take advantage of that wind, so that surface stuff blows into it, instead of away from it. I'll defer to others for the return locations. I think you want your pool water to spin. That'll drag surface stuff past your skimmer on a calm day, and mix your water around and around, from deep end to shallow. That's good for mixing in chemicals, getting all the water through the filter, and evening out warm spots, etc.

Someone better at this will be along soon, I'm sure...

You need to see this pool in person. There is only one logical location for the skimmer.

Wind won't be much of a factor anyway. The pool isn't out in the open. It is squeezed into a very small residential lot with high fencing.

OK, if there's only one spot then there's only one spot (though I'm not sure why that would be). No matter. If you're bored, put a big beach ball in the middle of where your pool will go. I think you might find you have more wind than you think...

I'm a bit of a mariner. Wind is a big factor in which direction a boat will slip. It can easily overpower the current of the water, and a boat has a lot of mass and area underwater. A leaf... not so much...

If wind is not a factor "for sure", then as Dirk stated, you want to circulate, but also make sure that the return can surface force debris into the one and old skimmer. Couple of questions: how many trees, bushes or anything else that's going to fall into pool? Next, what type of pool cleaner are you going to use? If no major debris on top, then you can focus more on circulation and let the pool pump do the cleaning on the bottom. If debris from trees, then you'll need to focus water movement to skimmer and let the pool cleaner pick us the stuff that falls to the bottom.

Since you have a SWG, you are going to have to run your pool pump enough to generate an adequate amt of CL to sanitize your pool, but you want to make sure you maximize your water movement, esp since you have a heater and will be using it a lot in Ontario...but, nothing like hitting a cold spot to wake you up when the rest is warm :)

Good luck, tstex

I am using a robotic cleaner. the subdivision is 10 years old so no mature trees. I had 3 maples and a spruce that I had to remove for pool. The only vegetation I have left is a few cedars.

I may plant a couple Japanese maples. But I suspect a minimal amount of junk falling in pool for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

So, do I put one in deep end and one in shallow end? One on left side, one on right side? Lol. Do I try to get circular flow?

With the pool being shaped like a peanut it may be difficult to get good circulation.

It's really hard to judge and I'm certainly no expert in this, but I've been dorking with my returns a ton this past weekend trying every which position to optimize flow into the skimmer and deal with this horrible pollen we have right now, so I think I may have a bit of experience now to offer a suggestion :cool:

If the skimmer is where the '12' is in the picture and without knowing anything about the winds or other conditions, I'd pick the following positions for two returns:
- one in the top right curve just below or near the lowest stair pointing to the left
- the other in the bottom left curve more towards the bottom of the picture and pointing to the right and down a bit towards the pool floor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.