Ice in Pool

puppycrack

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hello all. I just had an in-ground 20x40 vinyl liner pool installed this past summer in upstate NY. It has a conventional skimmer / return plumbing system, with a cantilevered poured concrete deck. It also has a Merlin Dura-Mesh safety cover installed. The pool was closed by the pool company in mid-October 2018, and water level at closing was about 1" below the skimmers. All lines were blown, antifreeze added, and gizmos added to the two skimmers. I have not checked water levels since closing, and this is the main reason for my post.

I noticed about 1-2" of ice on the top of the cover, and went to investigate. After realizing the ice on the cover was being supported by the ice in the pool itself, I checked the skimmers. Currently, the ice in the skimmers is 3.25" from the top of the skimmer, meaning we had at least 6-7" of water added to the pool since closing via rain / snow melt. I called the pool company, and they told me "checking water levels is in the manual we gave you". Well yes, it was. And I also asked the pool guys about draining water when the pool was closed, and they said since it was so late, I probably didn't need to worry about it.

So now I'm having terrifying visions of a destroyed pool come spring. Could the ice build up sufficiently to lift the cantilevered concrete? Could the skimmers be destroyed? What other kind of damage could I be looking at?

Also, is there anything I can do to mitigate damage? I'm thinking that trying to keep as much snow off the cover over the remaining winter months would be prudent. Anything else?

Or am I over-reacting to this as a first time pool owner, and what I'm seeing is completely normal for Upstate NY?

Thanks for an and all insight,
- pc

We had the most rainfall ever recorded in the East through the New Year. Lots of pools water level were raised more than expected by the rain. I had to pump out about 5 inches of water from my pool to get it back to the proper winter level.

If you get a thaw where all the ice melts then be prepared with a pump and hose to lower wer the water level. But only do it if all the ice in the pool has melted. Trying to lower the water while there is a layer of ice on the top can rip your liner.

Otherwise you just hope for the best, see what you have in the Spring, and learn for next winter.

FYI: I put about a quart of pool anti-freeze in my skimmers to try to prevent freezing. It helps. If your water level is above the skimmer opening though it isn't going to do any good.

Was a “skimmer gizmo” or empty gallon jug placed in your skimmer? Some people even use pool noodles. These devices are usually added so that if water gets into the skimmer and freezes, the expanding ice pushes against an empty volume of air as opposed to the skimmer walls.

When the water thaws out, you’ll have to inspect the skimmer for damage. If something did crack, you’ll likely see water leaking out of the skimmer box or it’s plumbing. It’ll be an expense to fix but it shouldn’t break the bank as long as the liner, uprights and pool walls are not compromised.

Was a “skimmer gizmo” or empty gallon jug placed in your skimmer? Some people even use pool noodles. These devices are usually added so that if water gets into the skimmer and freezes, the expanding ice pushes against an empty volume of air as opposed to the skimmer walls.

When the water thaws out, you’ll have to inspect the skimmer for damage. If something did crack, you’ll likely see water leaking out of the skimmer box or it’s plumbing. It’ll be an expense to fix but it shouldn’t break the bank as long as the liner, uprights and pool walls are not compromised.

Yes, new gizmos were added to each of the skimmers, and they appear to be intact. Is that the only thing to worry about? I'm having visions of thousands or more in damage to plumbing, liner and concrete decking.

It’s a liner Inground. The skimmer fixtures are placed below the liner extrusion. The skimmer risers / collars are only make the skimmer appear to be at deck level.

Don’t touch or pump your pool.

Btw - those who use empty jugs to displace ice in skimmers are bad actors. The jugs flood and become ice cubes, useless.
When I see the jugs, I know a tech too lazy to take out his trash was there.

Gizmos or closed cell foam like noodles are the best practices.

I've pulled some snow off the cover, but will not pump anything out until the ice has receded from the walls, for fear of tearing the liner from a sheet of unsupported ice. If I may ask, I've seen mention of the skimmer "risers" before, and other threads mentioned water weeping or draining from skimmers prior to getting to deck level. Question: where does the water go in such an event? Thanks!

It’s a liner Inground. The skimmer fixtures are placed below the liner extrusion. The skimmer risers / collars are only make the skimmer appear to be at deck level.

Don’t touch or pump your pool.

Btw - those who use empty jugs to displace ice in skimmers are bad actors. The jugs flood and become ice cubes, useless.
When I see the jugs, I know a tech too lazy to take out his trash was there.

Gizmos or closed cell foam like noodles are the best practices.

Mine has these but the jugs are capped. Will they do anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PG - if they don’t flood they will do the intended.
if they do fill they are just blocks of ice.

I don’t trust jugs, when they ship they rely on foil gaskets under the caps to contain the liquid product.

For a lot of people their pool is "set and forget" over winter. And to be honest, that tactic has worked for my neighbor going on 17 years. He doesn't pay his pool any mind at all once it is closed. He pays to close, pays to open, and ignores it totally between those two. Me, I am out there at least once a week. I check the skimmers and water level, add bleach, drain water if it gets too high, etc. Maybe it is me and not him! :devilish::devilish:

For a lot of people their pool is "set and forget" over winter. And to be honest, that tactic has worked for my neighbor going on 17 years. He doesn't pay his pool any mind at all once it is closed. He pays to close, pays to open, and ignores it totally between those two. Me, I am out there at least once a week. I check the skimmers and water level, add bleach, drain water if it gets too high, etc. Maybe it is me and not him! :devilish::devilish:

Same here. My neighbors water is at his coping right now. Not even bothered by it. Me I have been out 2 nights now pumping water down to keep it off the tile. I have added chlorine 1 time already a month or so ago. I suck the water out of my skimmers whenever it rains. I’m trying to get my cover unstuck from the ice in the middle of my pool right now with this last snow then flood of rain we got. It’s almost loose. I just need 1 more day of sun. Lol.

Just to close the loop on this... I ended up draining several thousand gallons from the pool after the ice thawed using a submersible pump. I kept an eye on water level until opening, and drained when necessary. My visions of destruction were just that, "visions". No cracked concrete, no floating liner, and the skimmers were fine. Only issue was some plastic caps on the bead receivers. I'll keep a better eye on water levels post closing / pre-freeze this fall. Pool is now open and a balmy 60 degrees...

Thanks for all the responses,
- pc

Reactions: blazer58
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.