Nov 17, 2017
Spring/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I would like to install an IC60. The space is constrained and there are 2 options for the vertical install / u-shape plumbing to prevent backflow to the heater (see picture as green and red option with the IC60 placement indicated in blue).

468EE14F-718A-45E9-B102-B277F638E2AD.jpeg

Green: after the heater and before the pool/spa return valve. However, this is also before the cleaner booster pump.

Red: after the booster pump, pool/spa return valve and heater. Additional benefit - removal of chlorinator.

IC60 instructions recommend before the return valve. I am concerned about corrosion of the booster pump but also the valve. Thoughts?

The install instructions also say “For best flow sensing, provide at least 12"-18" of straight pipe in front of the cell inlet”. Given the u-shape install which distance should I go for - 12 or 18 inches?

PS: The plumbing was messed up by the installer after a recent re-plaster and I will remove some of the angles again when installing the IC60.

Both will work.. You want to flip the blue to the other side.. You want the IC60 on the side with the water rising now going down... You really want the SWG the last thing but I do not think it will mess with the booster pump, if you think it will mess with the booster pump use the other space.. You can put the flow sensor just about anywhere but it is better with a 12 inch straight piece.. :)

S,

I agree with Casey... It is not chlorine that eats heaters and booster pumps, it acid from low pH and tab feeders. The cell does not produce acid.

If in the vertical position, it MUST be installed so that water flows up though the cell. The more straight pipe before the cell the better, but in the big picture it makes very little difference.

If this were my pool, I'd install it right after the heater because you already have a long pipe going up and it would be easy to add more if needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.