The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My IC60 suffered freeze damage and the outer shell is cracked. Is it possible to repair or is this a lost cause?

IMG_20210223_202626.jpg

Someone posted this. Maybe worth a try. If it doesn't work you are getting a new cell anyway. My concern would be if the fix fails a lot of water may be dumped on your equipment pad before you discover it. And your pump may run dry and be damaged.

Proceed at your own risk.

I have had some luck repairing cracked salt cells using the UV Light type glue. There are several brands; all come with a little UV light that triggers the glue to harden very quickly. Best to use a dremmel to first grind a small shallow groove along the crack to ensure a good bond.

Reactions: pjt
I'd probably grind out the crack a little, then scuff the surface a little with sandpaper or maroon colored scotch bright. Follow it up with some JB weld two part epoxy. It will not look pretty, since the basic epoxy is grey, but it will probably work, as long as the crack doesn't go all the way to the threads.

Worst case scenerio, get ready to shell out your stimulus dough, if you get it. I didn't....

Fixed! I ground out the crack with a Dremel tool and applied JB Weld PlasticWeld. It's not pretty, but the epoxy is on the bottom of the cell so it's out of sight. I let it cure overnight and reconnected it this morning. No leaks and it's generating chlorine normally.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Reactions: Killer95Stang
Reactions: Newdude
Plasti Aid is EXCELLENT.. I had a pressure leak on 2 inch plumbing that I patched 8 years ago and it is still working :)

Reactions: pjt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.