Fort Worth
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Was able to find an IC60 in stock that should be arriving soon. I noticed the instructions say to have it at least 3ft from the heater outlet. How essential is that? I would have to make a loop of some sort as I am only 18" or so between my heater outlet and my tablet feeder that I will be removing. We do not have a spa so the heater won't be used very often except in spring and fall to help extend the swim season.

Mine is about that close (18"). Never has been an issue.

I wonder if it is the heat? Or a carryover from old viewpoints that you had to keep chlorine from the heater. Based on trichlor use.

Was able to find an IC60 in stock that should be arriving soon. I noticed the instructions say to have it at least 3ft from the heater outlet. How essential is that? I would have to make a loop of some sort as I am only 18" or so between my heater outlet and my tablet feeder that I will be removing. We do not have a spa so the heater won't be used very often except in spring and fall to help extend the swim season.
When you say outlet, do you mean the water outlet or the hot air exhaust of the heater? I would bet it has more to do with the exhaust and making sure it doesn't over heat the cell.

I think this is a hold over from the old style in line tablet chlorinators to prevent high FC from getting back to the heater tubes. Don't worry about it. And of course don't put it in the exhaust plume from the heater or anything else in the exhaust plume either.

My IC60 was mounted on a 90 degree elbow with the heater on one side and the SWG on the other. It violated the distance to heater rule, and the straight pipe before the swg for less turbulance rule. The PB just smacked it on like he always did and by the time i learned what Pentair said about it, it hadn't complained once in 8 years with 2 different units, there was no reason to 'fix' it.

I am building again and without automation, i could have chosen anything, or something cheaper. But i wanted the beast back. It was a workhorse and you did good. (y)

I’m glad you brought this up because it’s my main hesitation for going SWG route. The Pentair ones say to install 3 feet away from heater. They don’t specify if that means distance wise or pvc pipe length. Mine would be opposite the side of the exhaust, but I didn’t want to risk an invalidated warranty in the future considering the initial expense of setting it all up.

Exhaust heat is not a problem as the plumbing is already plenty far away. The only way exhaust could be a problem is if you looped the plumbing to somewhere that you wouldn't touch or hold your hand with the heater running.

As said above its likely carryover from the old days and tab feeders.

Reactions: setsailsoon and kul
Since the heater isn't used on a regular basis to heat a spa I am not going to stress about it and keep it as far as reasonable from the heater.

Reactions: kul
So I thought I had my plan all put together. I was looking through the install instructions and they are showing a loop with a comment stating the SCG performs best when installed vertically. I was planning to install it in place of the rainbow feeder that my pool builder installed. Obviously it would be easier to install horizontally where the feeder is, but I don't mind putting in the extra work if having it installed vertically really makes a difference. I am not concerned about flow exceeding Pentair's recommendation for installing a loop, we run the filter pump about 2000 RPM, which the pump says is around 45 GPM.

What would you recommend I do? Just install it in place of the feeder?

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 24
  • intelichlorinstructions.jpg
    intelichlorinstructions.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
You will not get your flow over Pentairs 80 gpm limit with your setup.

Installing the cell horizontally where your tab chlorinator is will work if it fits. Otherwise you can do a vertical loop there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many installations are done both ways. They all work. I'd do it whichever way works best for your plumbing.

You're gonna love your salt pool!

Chris

Reactions: newdude
Got the power supply hooked up yesterday. Wired on the “output” side of the relay for the main filter pump so it is only on with the pump on.

Installed the cell this morning. Was very straight forward. Pic was taken during start up so salt light was green-added 400 lbs of salt around noon and have the pump circulating with the cell currently set at 0%. Salt level was 400 before adding any salt.

Attachments

• 6E317905-3B7B-4EEA-9934-6F383D3E2981.jpeg
    6E317905-3B7B-4EEA-9934-6F383D3E2981.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: newdude
Got the power supply hooked up yesterday. Wired on the “output” side of the relay for the main filter pump so it is only on with the pump on.

Installed the cell this morning. Was very straight forward. Pic was taken during start up so salt light was green-added 400 lbs of salt around noon and have the pump circulating with the cell currently set at 0%. Salt level was 400 before adding any salt.
Nice job - great that you tested before adding salt. Also, I see a small coil of bonding wire. Too many DIY installations I've seen fail to tie-in to the bonding system and this often causes a re-inspection fee because any inspector worth his salt will reject it if bonding is not properly completed. Looks like you're doing this right too!

Chris

I've seen too many "professional" installations not do it correctly. I moved the transformer for my pool lights to make the cell power transformer more logical. The pool builder ran both the high voltage to the lights transformer and the low voltage out to the pool lights in the same flex conduit. On the cover it specifically says not to mix the high and low voltage- that separation is part of the reason for the transformer. I took a picture where you can see they intentionally "jumped" over the divider.

We are county so I have to be the inspector as well!!

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 14
Mine is about that close (18"). Never has been an issue.

I wonder if it is the heat? Or a carryover from old viewpoints that you had to keep chlorine from the heater. Based on trichlor use.

My guess is chemically a salt water generator generates chlorine gas and hydrogen gas. There can be a risk of combustion of the hydrogen gas if the SWG is too close to the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.